PDA

View Full Version : Making an "Old" Subject Feel New

KristineS
09-22-2011, 01:06 PM
This is a common dilemma for me because I tend to write about the same products and services a lot. After a while, if you're not careful, you can find yourself trotting out the same tired descriptions and even the same old jokes or wordplay, things that were funny when they were new, but are expected now. When I find myself running into this problem, I do a couple things to try and freshen things up.

I tell someone isn't familiar with the product or service about the product or service. In the course of the conversation, new questions or views always come up.
Start with as weird or wacky a premise as I can and see if I can whack our product or service into that shape. Most of these writing exercises don't ever make it to the finished product, but the change in perspective helps
Whine at one of my colleagues or online buddies until they help me brainstorm a new approach

It's not an exhaustive list, and I'd be interested in having more weapons in my arsenal. When you're confronted with the job of writing about the same old subject, what do you do to make your writing new and interesting?

vangogh
09-22-2011, 07:29 PM
I don't write about the same products and services a lot, but I do write about the same topics over and over again. I mainly try to come at the topic from a different angle. Give the story a different focus and that alone is usually enough to get me writing differently. As a general rule I'm always experimenting here and there with my writing. I think for people who are reading most of the things I write those experiments won't be noticeable, but I can see the difference comparing something I write today to something I wrote a couple years ago.

Whenever I notice myself using the same words or phrases a lot I make a note and then force myself not to use those words for awhile. It doesn't always work and I often fall back on trusted patterns, but it helps a little.

I like the idea of talking about it with different people and getting their perspective. It would be impossible not to get some kind of new view on the subject doing that.

Even things like writing at a different time of day or from a different location can help. Instead of typing try using pen or pencil and paper for a change. Set some constraints on yourself like forcing yourself not to use certain words or maybe jotting down a quick list of thoughts and then using one thoughts to lead each paragraph.

Look for something to shake up your usual routine.

Karon Thackston
09-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Oh, my very favorite thing to do in situations such as these is yank Marcia Yudkin's book "73 Ways to Describe a Widget" (http://www.marketingwords.com/73ways.html) off my bookshelf (again) and flip through it. Very cool resource. It never fails to give me what I'm looking for.

KristineS
09-26-2011, 11:29 AM
I hadn't heard of that book, Karon, but I might have to look for it. I'd love to have 73 ways to describe our products. Thanks for the bringing the book to my attention.