PDA

View Full Version : What is the Trackback field for?

websonalized
09-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Hello,

I am sorry if I am not posting in the right forum. But of all the forums, this is the least likely wrong... je je je

As the heading of my posting asks, I am wondering what the trackback field at the bottom of the posting form is for, and how is it used. Please provide me with an example.

Thank you,

vangogh
09-19-2011, 06:48 PM
I think you found the best place to ask your question. :)

Trackbacks are a way to let another web page know you linked to it so that the other page can link back. It's more common with blogs, where one post links to another and in the comments section of that other post adds a comment with a link pointing to the post that linked to it. Years ago you'd have to manually add the trackback, but today most every trackback aware system doesn't need it manually added.

It's really not something you ever have to worry about here, except for the occasional time you run across a blog post you want to link to that gives it's trackback url. Seth Godin's blog is one that still does. I can't think of any others that do. Most systems today just know when they've been linked to and assuming it's been set up to link back it will.