PDA

View Full Version : Online Reviews Play an Important Role in Purchasing Decisions

vangogh
10-24-2008, 02:02 PM
What other people say about you and your business usually carries more weight than what you say about yourself. It should be no surprise then that online reviews of your business can go a long way toward convincing people to hire you or buy your products.

A recent study found that online reviews are second only to word of mouth in purchasing decisions (http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/081023-114752)

You can download the full PDF whitepaper (http://rubiconconsulting.com/insight/whitepapers/2008/10/online-reviews-second-only-to.html) from Rubicon Consulting.

What are you doing to encourage your clients and customers to post positive reviews about your business? Do you allow for product reviews on your site?

KristineS
10-24-2008, 04:19 PM
We do ask for them on the EnMart site and encourage them on the blog. I think customer reviews can have a lot of value.

By the same token, I have read studies that say that a lot of people are not influenced by testimonials or customer reviews. The theory seems to be that either companies put up incomplete reviews which just highlight the good parts or that companies only put up the good reviews they get, which gives an incomplete picture.

I'll have to see if I can reference the article I read.

vangogh
10-24-2008, 07:53 PM
I see people saying they don't like reviews and testimonials and while it's true some people don't react to them, I think many of the people who say they don't are still influenced by the regardless of what they say.

I read reviews all the time. I don't expect any single review to sway me, but I often find questions I have about a product answered in a review. I read the reviews at Amazon all the time. If one person raves about a book I don't care. If one person pans it I don't care. But if 10 people all mention that there are errors in the example in chapter 3, I feel confident there are errors in chapter 3. If that's important to me I may buy a different book.

I was looking for this link earlier about why product reviews are better than product descriptions (http://www.grokdotcom.com/2008/08/11/why-product-reviews-are-better-than-product-descriptions/)

In this case the product is a girl's bicycle helmet. From the post:

The product copy had this to say about the helmet:

“The ergonomic designed padding and an additional pad set for the perfect individual fit guarantee ultimate comfort.

The product review had this to say about the helmet:

“The helmet fit both girls well; ages 10 and 12. They must be comfortable because they wear them every time without reminding.”

Which description do you think convinced more parents to buy this helmet?

It's why you want to embrace letting your customers have the conversation about you. They can often convince each other better than you can convince any of them.

Blessed
10-25-2008, 07:08 AM
I'm a member of a couple communities who coordinate product reviews on Mommy Blogs with companies looking for reviews... I believe it is becoming big business and I know that everything you hear or read about a product, a company, a person does influence your opinion - even if you think it doesn't!

I think your analogy of 1 bad review or 1 good review not really making a difference but 10 people complaining does. I also know that when I'm looking for something new I look at the product reviews and I agree that I look at them as a whole - for example before I bought my stroller I did a lot of research and had a chance to buy one very similar, slightly used for about half the price of a new one but the reviews of that particular stroller were horrible so I didn't buy it. The stroller might have been fine but it had bad reviews and I had no personal experience with it or with a similar product, on the other hand the stroller I bought did have a few negative reviews but the reviews were positive overall so I bought it, have no complaints and wrote my own personal review on my blog.

vangogh
10-25-2008, 02:41 PM
When I see one really negative review I sometimes assume it's just one person complaining. With one positive review I think it's possibly someone with a connection to the product. I always look for the consistencies across reviews as what's likely closer to the truth.

Your experience with the stroller is one I think common for most of us. When we're buying online we don't have the product in front of us and we don't always know if we can trust it or the company selling it to is. Reviews can go a long way toward establishing or breaking that trust.

I know there are companies afraid to allow customer reviews for fear of what their customers say. They might not want people knowing some small thing where the product is lacking. The thing is the reviews and conversations about your product and services are going to take place whether you want them to or not. Why not have them on your site where it's at least easier to respond and where it's easier to learn.

If 10 people all complain that the on/off button on your product is in an awkward location it's good to know that so you can respond and redesign things for the next version to improve and have a better product.

Dan Furman
10-27-2008, 11:34 PM
One little niggle I have with reviews...

If you have a beef with Amazon (etc) themselves, don't leave a one star review for the product. If you are annoyed that a company released a super duper edition of a DVD (right after you just bought the now inferior super edition), don't leave a one star review because you are pissed at that.

Just review the product.

vangogh
10-28-2008, 11:39 AM
That bugs me too Dan. Unless a lot of people have reviewed something at Amazon I don't pay attention to the stars. One bad or good rating can too easily skew things unless enough other people have voted.

Blessed
10-28-2008, 12:40 PM
You are very right Dan! I completely agree with you!

KristineS
10-31-2008, 03:56 PM
I guess I'm skeptical of reviews because I know the system can be manipulated. I've heard of companies having all their employees log on to a review site to talk up a product or service. It can, and does, happen.

Still, I know a lot of people rely on them, and they do carry some weight.

billbenson
10-31-2008, 11:34 PM
I think that is actually the beauty of the internet. 30 years ago, you went to the library and found an issue of Consumer Reports that reviewed your product if it even had been reviewed. Today, you have a ton of different sources for product reviews online. Some will be slanted. Some will be people who bought something they didn't know how to use. Some will have received the one in thousands of the product that were defective, some will like the product if it is good. That's all good information if you know how to interpret it.

vangogh
11-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Kristine I know some companies will have employees review their products. Usually it's pretty obvious when they do. I think you have to look at reviews in totality. Usually there's going to be one or two gushing reviews letting you know how buying the product will cure all the world's ills. You can safely ignore those.

Then there will be one or two reviews telling you how the product is the most evil one ever created and if you buy it you'll regret every moment for the rest of your life. You can safely ignore those too.

If you spend time reading reviews you can easily sort out the honest ones. Some people really take the time to write a balanced review and those can be very helpful. For me it's usually the reviews at Amazon. I buy a lot of technical books and they're often expensive. Most of the time I'll visit a bookstore and and look through them myself, but sometimes I want a second opinion. I'll check Amazon and see what others have said.

Often the reviews will confirm or allay my doubts. Maybe after skimming it I wondered if the book was written for my skill level. I can read a few reviews that might say the book is excellent, but you should know x, y, and z prior to reading it. If I already know x, y, and z great. If not, I know to learn whichever I don't know before buying the book.

The idea isn't that someone says "This product is great" and then you rush out and buy it. It's more that comments from others who have used the product can offer additional information that you might not be able to get anywhere else.

mr.ro
11-02-2008, 02:12 AM
Yes I do look at reviews when I buy online. And I agree if you have been buying stuff online for a while. You can spot the fake stuff from the real stuff.

I like reading off amazon as well and on itunes before I buy the music. I think that you should make a good product that says what it will do and does that, so your product will get good reviews as well.

I also trust reviews more than what the company has to say about it because the product is in the real world and people are not going to be bias to the product. I can't recale how many times I have not bought a product because of the review or vice versa.

vangogh
11-03-2008, 11:37 AM
I also trust reviews more than what the company has to say about it because the product is in the real world and people are not going to be bias to the product.

I think that's how most people see it. We trust the review more when it comes from an independent source. While some customer reviews aren't necessarily unbiased in either direction, they become easier to spot after a time.

Watchdog
11-15-2008, 05:47 PM
We're hoping that ShopPass and the way we tied it in with MyShopPass will have good turn out in time with different ways to add reviews when we finially start the marketing (soon, we just wrapped up financing for it) on a local level. I don't think we'll go with the rating stars, they vener did make any sense to me?

We're now just wraping up a couple of features to add..one is the twitter and also we're adding the ability to add your video commercial.