PDA

View Full Version : Husband and Wife LLC umbrella with multiple DBAs

hownwhy
09-09-2011, 09:01 PM
I currently have one DBA that was set up as sole prop. I would like to register another DBA for another business and put both businesses under an LLC. I would like to include my husband in all three, and we live a community state (TX). So, as I undersatnd, we will be able to be taxed as sole prop under the LLC because we are married, and keep things simple. But, as what entity do I register the DBAs for the two businesses under the LLC? Sole Prop? General Partnership? I want to be sure that the LLC protection is there, but I don't think I need to register the other DBAs as LLC, right? That would be another $300 for each on state fees. Does it really matter if I state on all my paperwork and websites that the businesses are run under the LLC? I guess this isn't a very common question. I can't find the info anywhere on the net. Or maybe I'm just trying to make it too complicated. Suggestions?

Evan
09-12-2011, 12:03 AM
This is actually a pretty common question...

If you have an LLC, you can have multiple fictitious business names, and each of those need to be registered with the Secretary of State. It's not a separate LLC, just a form saying that Business LLC may also do business as MyBusiness. Note though that the legal name is realy just Business LLC d/b/a MyBusiness, which is how you should identify it on important documents.

nsnodgrass73
09-10-2013, 07:16 PM
The original question was exactly yhe information i was looking for but you're answer did not justify it. When we are filling out the DBA it asks how the business will be conducted. If we have a HW LLC, and only want his or her name on the DBA is it a Sole proprietorship, partnership or joint venture?

This is actually a pretty common question...

If you have an LLC, you can have multiple fictitious business names, and each of those need to be registered with the Secretary of State. It's not a separate LLC, just a form saying that Business LLC may also do business as MyBusiness. Note though that the legal name is realy just Business LLC d/b/a MyBusiness, which is how you should identify it on important documents.