PDA

View Full Version : Leasing your equipment to your own llc

suejax
09-02-2011, 02:53 PM
I believe I, the managing member of my llc, can lease my computer equipment to my llc. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

huggytree
09-04-2011, 06:56 PM
ask your accountant

Evan
09-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Is it a Schedule C operation? For tax purposes, you won't be able to do this.

suejax
09-05-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't have an accountant, just a bookkeeper at this point, although I know I will have to have one.

The company is an llc, not a c-corp.

Evan
09-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Answer still doesn't change, as it seems like the LLC is disregarded (thus filing Schedule C).

suejax
09-13-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't understand what the llc being disregarded means. If the expense of leasing the computer equipment isn't deductible what would be the best way to handle this? Should I transfer the ownership of the equipment to the business for equity and then the llc can use the depreciation expense?

Evan
09-15-2011, 02:30 PM
For tax purposes, the "LLC being disregarded" means that there is no distinction between YOU and the LLC -- it's the same thing.

If you're leasing office equipment that is in your personal name, the business can deduct it. But you cannot lease a computer you own to your LLC. You could contribute it to the LLC and depreciate it.

suejax
09-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks so much Evan...you've been very helpful. I have an appointment with a CPA. My mom is a bookkeeper and is gonna do my work free of charge til I can afford to pay someone. I just need guidance from an accountant.