PDA

View Full Version : "Click Here" is not dead

Karon Thackston
08-31-2011, 01:32 PM
I've been seeing a LOT of info lately about the fact that "click here" is one of the best-converting links to use. I think I even saw something on this forum about an experience that involved variations of the text "Follow me on Twitter here" and so on.

As marketers and SEO-focused folks, we've been groomed to think that we need a benefit, keyphrase or other text as the link. "Get your blue suede shoes now" for instance. I'm interested to see if any others have experience with "click here" type links and their performance. I just started doing some testing on this with my Twitter posts, but it's too early to tell right now.

vangogh
08-31-2011, 01:39 PM
I've seen info favoring the "click here" link for a few years now. I think it's the simple wording and clear call to action that makes it work. It's hard to mistake what the link wants you to do and it leads with a strong command.

Even where seo itself is concerned there's a lot of thought that "click here" helps vary anchor text so it makes sense to use it at least here or there.

I can't say I've run any specific tests to measure results. I'll be interested to see what you find out when you've collected more data. I'm going to guess the "click here" links do well.

KristineS
08-31-2011, 05:02 PM
I use a version of it a lot, "you can find the information here", "our product x is here" etc. I think people are now more conditioned to click links embedded in text than they used to be, but there's still something about click here or variations thereof that seems to work well.

Karon Thackston
09-01-2011, 08:59 AM
You know, V, for SEO purposes you could combine "click here" or "here" with the keyphrase to get something like "Click here for iPad2 reviews" or whatnot.

Kristine, I agree. I think it all boils down to being clear. I've started a Facebook thread about this, too. Many people so far have said they've tracked this and get better response in email with "click here." Don't know about other mediums.

vangogh
09-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Good point about combining click here and your keywords and again it just shows how important being able to write is.

KristineS
09-01-2011, 12:22 PM
You know, V, for SEO purposes you could combine "click here" or "here" with the keyphrase to get something like "Click here for iPad2 reviews" or whatnot.

Kristine, I agree. I think it all boils down to being clear. I've started a Facebook thread about this, too. Many people so far have said they've tracked this and get better response in email with "click here." Don't know about other mediums.

Combining the click here phrase with keywords is something I do quite a bit. I haven't tracked clicks specifically to see whether that combination works better than another option, but that might be something to try in the next e-mail we do.

Being clear is definitely a must. I hate trying to figure out what I should be clicking, and especially despise links that don't take me where they should. I see that sometimes with people who don't seem very familiar with websites and how they work. The link the have you click takes you to a page that isn't relevant. Terrible for conversion!

Karon Thackston
09-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Well, the Twitter campaign is over. I re-ran a campaign consisting of a variety or tweets that I'd run several weeks ago. This time the only thing I changed was adding "click here" (or some variation). Absolutely no change whatsoever. So, while certainly not definitive, I did disprove that click here theory with regard to that particular Twitter campaign. Will try it on some website copy, email stuff, etc.

vangogh
09-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Was "click here" part of the anchor text or part of the surrounding tweet? Just thinking of possibilities for the no change.

1. With so many shortened URLs on Twitter people don't read the anchor text and click based on the surrounding text only.
2. With so many links thrown their way people on Twitter are conditioned not to click links and the command of "click here" doesn't trigger an automatic response.
3. People click links based on who tweets them more than what the link points to.

I have no idea if any of the above are the reason you found no change, but it's what came to mind off the top of my head.

Karon Thackston
09-09-2011, 09:03 AM
1. It surrounded text.

3. Tweets have gotten lots of clicks before and they were still coming from me, as they did in the past.

It would also be the time of year, the days of the week.... who really knows? :)

KristineS
09-09-2011, 01:05 PM
That's the problem with a lot of those types of tests, it's so hard to isolate one variable. I wonder what the click here results would be if it were tried on a website.

scottish
09-12-2011, 05:43 AM
yeah, click here is good because it is tied right in with the internet. that's what you do - click on stuff. if you like my offer and want to know more click here...