PDA

View Full Version : Sellers Permit vs. Business License

AllCeasonsDesign
08-31-2011, 12:01 PM
I have been working as a freelance graphic artist for 7 years with only a sellers permit. When I recently opened a new business bank account the new bank wanted to see my business license. When I explained that I only had a sellers permint that was fine with them, but this now has me thinking... should I have a business license? What is the difference and why would one be better than the other?

thank you!
JC

vangogh
09-01-2011, 01:41 AM
This isn't my area of expertise. I'm guessing whether or not you need a business license is up to the state of Wisconsin. I found the page where you register for a license (http://ww2.wisconsin.gov/state/license/app?COMMAND=gov.wi.state.cpp.license.command.LoadL icenseHome). Rather it's a search page where you begin the process.

I'm not sure if there's an advantage to one or the other. I would think it's more a matter of what Wisconsin requires of you. I suppose it's possible that different taxes could be involved, but I'm really just guessing.

If the business license isn't expensive I'd probably get it. If the bank asked for it others might too so why not.

A little more research and here's a page on the Wisconsin Department of Revenue site about seller's licenses (http://www.revenue.wi.gov/faqs/pcs/seller.html). You've possibly seen it, but it might have more information for you. The Dept of Revenue will probably have the information you need. It also has contact information. I would think a quick phone call would be all you need to answer any questions you have.

AllCeasonsDesign
09-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Thank you for the great information Vangogh!

vangogh
09-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Glad I could help. I wasn't sure how useful the info was, but I did try. There are a couple members here who'll probably know more and be able to offer better advice, but they aren't here every day and it has been a long weekend. Hopefully they'll see the thread in a day or two and be able to offer more.