PDA

View Full Version : How to Optimize Copy When You Don't Want to Use Your Keywords

vangogh
08-30-2011, 02:34 AM
Found a good article the other day about How to Optimize Copy When You Can’t Use Keywords (http://www.marketingwords.com/blog/?p=1521) by Karon Thackston. The post uses the example "cheap travel insurance" as a keyword phrase. It might be something you want a page to rank for, but you don't want to refer to your travel insurance as cheap within your copy. So how do you get the word "cheap" on the page?

Here's one possible solution from the post.

Affordable? Budget-friendly? Absolutely! But this is certainly not cheap travel insurance. Coverage is underwritten by one of the most trusted and well-respected companies. With this policy, you’ll find benefits comparable to more expensive coverage, but with rates at or below what the cheap travel insurance companies charge.

Notice how Karen gets the the phrase in the copy without using the phrase to describe the company's insurance. Shows how a little creativity can go a long way.

There are other examples in the post.

KristineS
08-30-2011, 11:56 AM
This made me smile because it was part of the technique I was taught when I wrote copy for SEO back in the day. If you're clever about how you put your copy together, you can fit in a lot of keyword phrases without it being obvious. You also have to remember that the words don't have to be right in a row. Search engines can form phrases on their own.

cbscreative
08-30-2011, 12:32 PM
I've noticed too that as the SE's get more intelligent, the phrases often match without exact words. At one time, plural vs. singular would affect the results. That seems to make little difference any more. It's now possible a page like this without even having the word cheap could show up in results if it just used the word inexpensive. I still favor creativity like Karon wrote about, but it's interesting to see how the SE's are getting increasingly better at anticipating the intent of the user when delivering results.

Dan Furman
08-30-2011, 02:31 PM
I believe SE's don't really acccount for punctuation, either.

It doesn't pay to be cheap; travel insurance is very affordable, and can be a lifesaver.

vangogh
08-30-2011, 02:53 PM
you can fit in a lot of keyword phrases without it being obvious.

Yep. There's no reason why you can't get keywords in your copy and still have something readable. It takes a little writing skill and creativity.

I've noticed too that as the SE's get more intelligent, the phrases often match without exact words.

Absolutely. You're likely still better off using the exact words and phrases on the page, but SEs have evolved to where they can understand synonyms, etc with a fair amount of success. It's certainly not perfect, but it's much better than it once was.

I believe SE's don't really acccount for punctuation, either.

They don't. Your example would work well too. Again if you have some writing skill and can think creatively you can get keywords and phrases on the page and still not have your copy read like keyword stuffed spam.

Karon Thackston
08-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks, Vangogh, for posting a link to my article. I found this forum (and your thread) through a Google Alert. I appreciate the positive feedback on the article as well.

This looks like a great forum. I'll have to poke around and see what's here now that I've found the place.

vangogh
08-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Glad to Karon. I've been reading your blog for as long as I can remember. You may or may not recall, but years ago I was more active at Small Business Brief and I think we chatted a few times. Probably when I discovered your blog too.

I'm always a bit sad that the copywriting section here isn't as active as some of the other sections, given how important copy is both online and offline. Thought I'd give the section a boost and thought your article was a good way to start.

Thanks for the compliments on the forum. We do try.

Karon Thackston
08-31-2011, 01:28 PM
I thought that was you :) I do remember. Good to connect again. I have to agree about the importance of copywriting, but then again, I'm rather biased. :)

vangogh
08-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Yep. That's me. I was there and at an older version of this forum at the same time. The older version of this forum dropped the ball and I moved everyone over here and naturally have less time for other forums now. :)

You may be biased about copywriting, but you're also right (or is that write?)

We've discussed it a few times here. I think the problem is that everyone knows how to write, but they don't always know good writing from bad. So they assume they don't need to hire someone to write their copy and just do it themselves. On the surface it seems like an easy place to save on expenses. Unfortunately since bad copy doesn't sell products it turns out to be very costly.

I think a similar thing happens with design, especially with so many site builder applications around. Of course I'm rather biased in favor of design. :)

cbscreative
08-31-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm biased too, so we can all be biased together.

Fortunately, approx 20% of businesses realize the difference between what appears to be a savings and what really makes them healthy as a business. The other 80% will always stumble and fall and wonder why because it's always been that way, then someone else takes their place, and the cycle continues to maintain fairly consistent numbers. Sometimes, even members of the 80% group realize their error before it's too late and join the 20%.

One thing we seek to accomplish here is to provide good info that helps small businesses thrive. We have a diverse group of experienced business people that help make that happen. The comments made by members who've been helped here testify to the success of this forum. I always enjoy reading those.

Karon Thackston
08-31-2011, 03:02 PM
You're exactly right, V.

Are you the administrator/owner of this forum?

Great to know, CBS. Looks like a great place.

vangogh
08-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Yep to both questions Karon. The short story is many of used to belong to a forum with the same domain as this one (though with .com as opposed to our .net). For quite some time I was the only person moderating the place and with limited access and little communication from the owners. Then the forum went down for a couple of weeks. There was no explanation other than some canned response. I offered to help fix things, but the owners never returned my emails.

When the forum finally came back up a lot wasn't working and many in the community were thinking of leaving. I asked everyone to wait a few days so I could set us up elsewhere and with the help of a few others we moved here and have been building ever since. It's been a little over 3 years now.

cbscreative
08-31-2011, 04:32 PM
It's been a little over 3 years now.

Yeah, that reminds me, our 3 year anniversary went by without announcement this year. That was on Aug 6. A belated Happy Anniversary to us...party!

vangogh
08-31-2011, 04:35 PM
I was waiting on you to make the announcement, since you've been the official wisher of birthday greetings. :) Can you believe it's been 3 years already?

KristineS
08-31-2011, 04:57 PM
It does seem pretty astonishing that it's been three years. I do remember back to the days when we were mostly talking to each other Vangogh! It's definitely become a much livelier and more interesting place since we first started.

cbscreative
08-31-2011, 10:27 PM
What's at least as amazing as 3 years here is the fact that we've virtually known each other for about 6 years and many members here are at or close to that mark too. I believe Evan has us all beat. If I recall, he was a member of the .com at least back to 04, and it seems it was even earlier than that.

vangogh
09-01-2011, 01:07 AM
04 beats me. I think I joined the old forum in December of 05. Steve you joined a few months before I did if memory serves.

cbscreative
09-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Your memory is good. I joined in June 2005.

KristineS
09-01-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't remember when I joined the old forum. I barely remember that forum at all now, but then I became active more toward the end of things.