PDA

View Full Version : What E-Commerce Product Are You Using?

KingHippo
10-20-2008, 03:30 PM
There are a lot of e-commerce solutions out there. I am using ASP.NET for my website. I know it will take quite a while to learn how to program e-commerce using ASP.NET so I am wondering if there are any easier alternatives. I think ideally I would like something as simple as calling one function that contains the user's name / address / credit card in the parameters and having the function return a result telling me the status of processing. Does such a technology exist? Anything close to this?

orion_joel
10-20-2008, 07:26 PM
I would imagine there may be something that would do this, however it really depends how much you want to pay for this. As the issue here inevitably lands that where much development is done with PHP and is often free, ASP.NET is not used in this sense as much due to it being a commercial technology. This is not to say that you wont find what you are looking for, but it may cost you for it.

vangogh
10-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Most of the programs I know are built with php. There are plenty of online services that can collect the money. PayPal for one. That may or may not work with your particular situation.

Try searching 'ecommerce asp' or similar and I think you'll find some carts applications. Probably not free, but not necessarily expensive. 'ecommerce solutions' seems to be bringing up some of the services you can connect to, though it may not be the best search.

derekanders
11-25-2008, 08:47 AM
I am trying to figure out what you are trying to accomplish. If you want a shopping cart type system they already exist and are available for quick install with most hosting companies. They also have eCommerce systems available.

I would look into these before trying to code one yourself or having someone do it. In my opinion its just easier to install one that is pre-made than pay a massive amount of money to get one made.

billbenson
11-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Ya, I'm not understanding what you are trying to do. Also, why ASP? There is really nothing you can do on ASP that you can't do with PHP and the inverse is also true. ASP will have fewer free or cheap software packages and fewer available programs though. It will most likely cost you more money in the long run.

SteveC
11-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Have a look at DotNetNuke / DNN - Home (http://www.dotnetnuke.com/) it's a free open source ASP.NET content management system which many windows based hosting companies include free of charge. I've never actually used it so I cannot help you with regard to how easy it is to use or not... however there is a support forum so you should get the help you need.

One thing I would however suggest is this... as this is an ecommerce website, it should be designed to sell products... and if you want to maximise your sales you really do need the services of a professional website designer... these people bring value to your business and can mean the different between success and failure... or sales and no sales.