PDA

View Full Version : Legal Retainer

Vix24
08-18-2011, 10:43 PM
I am a 19-year-old student who is thinking about starting a legal business after law school.

I have a few extra things I want to add, but here is a majority of the plan:

Business attorney retainer fee for $1,000 per month. On-call 24/7. No time limit. Unlimited phone advice, unlimited number of contract write-up/review, legal audit, employment law and employee discipline/termination, bankruptcy, business litigation, business formation, and myriad smaller services for new and growing businesses.

Would you be kind enough to critique? Thanks. Any input is appreciated.

vangogh
08-19-2011, 02:57 PM
My first thought is that's a pretty short plan. I think it's a start, but there are probably many more things you'd want to consider.

I would think that during law school you'd specialize in one or a few aspects of the law and then open a legal practice based on your specialty. I guess I'm not entirely sure what you're asking now.

Vix24
08-19-2011, 03:42 PM
there are probably many more things you'd want to consider.

Could you elaborate?

I guess I'm not entirely sure what you're asking now.

I guess I'm asking is $1,000 per month retainer for a complete legal service asking too much cash, and how many businesses do you think I could sign?

Steve B
08-19-2011, 10:20 PM
It would be WAY too much for me. If I had to spend $500 a YEAR on legal stuff I'd have to reevaluate what I'm doing.

From the other side of the coin - I'd be careful using the term "unlimited".

Vix24
08-19-2011, 11:31 PM
It would be WAY too much for me. If I had to spend $500 a YEAR on legal stuff I'd have to reevaluate what I'm doing.

From the other side of the coin - I'd be careful using the term "unlimited".

How about legal/accounting/tax service all-in-one for $1,000 per month? Would you consider that?

Patrysha
08-20-2011, 12:42 AM
If I could afford a service of that magnitude...I wouldn't be choosing one based on a classified ad like that one. To really make an impact you'd likely want to look at what Alexis Neely has been doing.

Vix24
08-20-2011, 12:46 AM
Could you afford legal/accounting/tax service all-in-one for $1,000 per month?

Patrysha
08-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Afford is a nebulous term really. I don't think there's a reason I would place that high a value on those sorts of services to budget $1000 a month for it. And if I did see the value in it...I wouldn't do it based on a text ad like the one posted.

What will you be offering that's appreciably different from pre-paid legal?