PDA

View Full Version : Marketing to Small Businesses

bamahonky
08-12-2011, 03:34 PM
I am in the process of planning to start a business offering IT services to small and mid size businesses. What are some of the best ways to market to them? I have thought about flyers, letters, and cold calls. I have even considered stopping by hoping to catch the owner or decision maker available to discuss their options.

Any ideas? On a side note. I do have a small list of previous accounts I sold a totally different product to in the past.

huggytree
08-12-2011, 04:59 PM
i can always tell when the economy has really slowed because i start getting cold calls 2-4x a day...i dont even answer the phone if its from a different area code

no one wants your cold calls...you will annoy 99.9999percent of potential customers

send them fliers/mailers and let them contact you when they are ready...it works very well for my business...i send out fliers to the same potential customers 3-4x a year..its how ive built most of my customer base...eventually they will need you and the flier may just come in the mail that week

Spider
08-13-2011, 09:13 AM
I am in the process of planning to start a business ... Are you planning a business or are you planning to start a business? Planning to start is one thing, planning what the business will become is something different. If you really are planning the start of your business, have you planned what the business will become yet?

Make sure you put the cart before the horse. What will your business be in five years time?

TotalPC
08-13-2011, 10:26 PM
depending how large your area is, or if you are going to offer remote support etc, you could make use of pay per click traffic. IE: buying ads on search engines like Google, Bing etc.

kerrylinux
08-14-2011, 06:41 AM
I have thought about flyers, letters, and cold calls. I have even considered stopping by hoping to catch the owner or decision maker available to discuss their options.

Cold calls haven't worked for me at all. If you see a chance to talk to a business owner directly that's well worth the try, but you have to prepare some paper-bound information about your servces that you can hand out if you catch somebody in a hurry. Even better if you give the owner a chance to have digested your information before you try to talk to them.

Good luck.

Spider
08-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Kerry introduces the idea of networking - which I believe is the only worthwhile method of direct approach.

Find out where your prospects hang out and go there, find out what clubs they join, and you join, too. Chambers of Commerce are great places to meet business owners, talk with them and find out about their needs. Check Meetup.com for groups meeting in your area that might have as members business owners you want to meet.

alphadore
08-28-2011, 08:20 AM
no one wants your cold calls...you will annoy 99.9999percent of potential customers

I cant tell you how you should promote your business as I dont know the dynamics of your industry, region, your resources and capabilities. But what I can tell you is to prioritize anything other than cold calling. Cold calling almost never works. Unless you are very professional on the phone and only presenting your company to book a meeting. You should not be selling anything on the phone but only presenting your organization and/or products in very brief. There is a big difference.

erichtoll
08-28-2011, 10:49 PM
A big consideration is whether you are focusing on local OR national prospects.

Either way, an optimized web site is key. If local, you'll want to figure out to show up in local searches.

Also get in the habit of writing articles with useful tips - people go to the internet for useful information.

erichtoll
08-28-2011, 10:49 PM
A big consideration is whether you are focusing on local OR national prospects.

Either way, an optimized web site is key. If local, you'll want to figure out to show up in local searches.

Also get in the habit of writing articles with useful tips - people go to the internet for useful information.

AllCeasonsDesign
08-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Find out where your prospects hang out and go there, find out what clubs they join, and you join, too. .

Spider - I am sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am totally new to marketing. How do I find out where my prospects like to hang out or what clubs they join?

Spider
08-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Spider - I am sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am totally new to marketing. How do I find out where my prospects like to hang out or what clubs they join?It might take some guessing, it might take some deduction, or simply asking them.

If you have 5 clients of the type you want to increase and 4 of them play golf, joining a golf club might be a good idea. If three of them play at the same course, that would be the one to join.

If you are in the pet industry and your local SPCA has regular public activities, it makes sense to get involved with them.

As I said, Chambers of Commerce are great places to meet business owners, talk with them and find out about their needs. First you must know who you want to meet - who are your prospects? What are their interests? Then, you only need to find one (and that one could already be a client) and ask them where people like that meet? Check Meetup.com for groups meeting in your area that might have as members business owners you want to meet.

Basically, it's just a matter of becoming a joiner - join as many interest groups as you can. Get to know people. Ask a lot of questions.

AllCeasonsDesign
08-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Spider,
Thank you! I have contacted the local Chamber of Commerce in the city I am moving to! I have started my journey.

KristineS
08-31-2011, 01:11 PM
Don't forget, also, that marketing can happen where ever you are. Make sure you have business cards and carry them with you always. Also, put some thought into developing what is called an "elevator speech", which is essentially a short two or three sentence of your business and what you can do for your customers. Don't be pushy about it, but always be ready to seize an opportunity if one presents itself. You never know from where the next customer might come.

Dee2x
08-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Knowing your target market is essential to knowing how to market to your clients. Small businesses are inclined to hangout out networking events such as Chamber events, association functions, business expos and etc. They will not be hard to find but it’s key to know how to network and build relationships and trust before trying to sell.

AllCeasonsDesign
09-02-2011, 10:40 AM
I have found a good way to advertise your business (which I realize is different then marketing it) is by lettering your vehicle. Putting your logo, phone number and website on your vehicle is a cheap and effective way to get your company name out there. Its seen 24 hours a day, 7 days a week wherever you go.
Having the vinyl done is inexpensive and professional looking. I know there are companies out there that also make magnets with the same information on them if you would like something you can move between vehicles. I personally feel it makes your business look a little more professional and stable if you have it done in vinyl, but both are great.

RMMarketing
09-14-2011, 06:51 AM
Find high value targets that you would like to market to. Setup a nice looking introduction letter as well as a page that explains the service you offer. If you can afford it, get a buisness card magnet to attach to your mini-packet and then physically go to the business and drop off your mini-packet. Say something like "Hi, i just wanted to drop this off in case you ever need someone to do some office cleaning. Thanks" (Insert your own business offering wher I put office cleanin). Its a real soft sell. I dont follow up with a phone call either even though you should. I try to do 10-20 a day. If you do 10, thats 50 a week or 250-300 per month. You will get your name out there and evenetually, youll get a call back.

About 1 out of 15 for me I get stopped before I leave the building. They'll say "Hey im interested, can you give me a quote now". When this happens you need to be prepared. If you are, youll close 1 out of 2 that asks right then and there.

storymashup
09-16-2011, 05:41 AM
You can check out a website called meetup.com to search for local meetup groups withing your niche (ie. small business owners),,, also, I may be biased here, but nothing beats being on Google or other search engines where people are actually looking for your service (ie dog training, IT services).. they are the best prospects everytime :O)

RMMarketing
09-17-2011, 06:47 AM
One marketing thing that I forgot to mention was that I LOVE business card magnets. When I was in the corporate world I would alwasy through mine on the filing cabinet in my office. Every once in a while, I would look up and actually call the vendor if I had a need.

I have no clue if mine work or not on as far as commercial cleaning is concerned but they do work on my residential side. Depending on quantity, you can get them for about $.10 each.

phanio
09-17-2011, 10:09 AM
I suggest you try all of them. Do each on a small scale and measure the return. When the results are in - determine what worked best and what didn't. Keep that which works and pick it up. If it didn't work or didn't work that well, either scrap it or tweet it. Business is about trail and error. Research, understand, execute and measure. Then change based on results.

Russ in Vancouver
09-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Often, depending upon what medium you use to market/brand yourself, it is hard to know which campaign strategy is bringing you the leads.
I believe that marketing campaigns should be strategically planned to get the most repeated exposure to your target market. While executing this method one must always ask every lead how they heard or found out about you. If you are doing it all right, most often you may hear that they saw your flyer in their mail, and then saw your bus bench a few times, got another flyer a month later and then saw you at a family event etc...

Take a realtor for example. They target a specific area and inside of that area often they will choose a specific type of consumer. It may be by what they can afford, what complex they live in, baby boomers or growing/downsizing familes etc...

The realtor may use several different advertising strategies such as: Flyers, bus benches, cold calling, vehicle wrap, community newspapers, business networking, board of trade or chamber of commerce, community events, etc.... all geared towards that specific demographic.

So I believe that one should, if within the budget, try to use several rather than just one advertising medium.

DanWilliams
10-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Few things that work well fo rmy industry. Letters of introduction/referral/recommendation from existing clients...they are better than testimonials. Secondly, customer testimonials that address common objections/reservations. Thirdly...use your connection/membership with the chamber to offer free classes/seminar on topic of concern that your product solves.

ParaTed2k
10-25-2011, 10:30 AM
I've found that Appreciation Marketing is one of the best methods of gaining (and especially retaining) customers and clients. Since only about 5% of business people show any kind of appreciation beyond a verbal "thank you" at the end of a transaction, it really helps you brand yourself and your IT services.

You do want to become the preferred IT provider in your area, right?

LFinkle
10-27-2011, 08:14 AM
I spent years cold calling and had good results. The challenge with cold calling is you have to keep at it day in and day out. I suggest you consider attending networking events. Are there chamber of commerce events in your area? Some networking groups like BNI are great for starting out. Perhaps identify associations that have small businesses as their clients and offer them some discount for their members? Mailers aren't going to be much success I don't suspect unless you send something big and flashy...a 6 x 8 postcard for instance.

This sound like a great question for a product I am createin. I'd love your insights. Submit your questions and ideas to the link in my signature and you'll have a chance to win the product.

MobileMarketness
11-13-2011, 10:45 PM
I like the idea of direct mail pieces, but they can be so expensive. Cold calls can be inexpensive depending on how you structure payment.

For the SME owners here, would a cold call offering something free be an annoyance? Of course, assume the offered freebie would be of high value and not some report, a "free consultation" or something equally vague.

glenneena
11-23-2011, 09:54 AM
I despite cold calls and hang up or bust chops on 100% of the people that call. I normally get 10 plus calls a day, time waster to the max. Don't do it, IMHO your wasting your time. Possibly letters with a flyer. Short concise cover letter, detailed flyer, business card. That is it. I have been at my current retail/service location 10 years, 3 company names, 7 phone lines, lots of on line ads. My numbers are out there, lots of cold calls. Never bought anything over the phone. Never will. One time I talked with a tele marketer about long distance service and got slammed, complete nightmare to switch back.

The way I look at it, if you can't send an intro in the mail and then show up in person, you don't have anything worthwhile to sell or offer and your a fraud. (I said IMHO, and my statement could be wrong, but I have a business to run, not time to waste on the phones).

billbenson
11-23-2011, 02:10 PM
I despite cold calls and hang up or bust chops on 100% of the people that call. I normally get 10 plus calls a day, time waster to the max. Don't do it, IMHO your wasting your time. Possibly letters with a flyer. Short concise cover letter, detailed flyer, business card. That is it. I have been at my current retail/service location 10 years, 3 company names, 7 phone lines, lots of on line ads. My numbers are out there, lots of cold calls. Never bought anything over the phone. Never will. One time I talked with a tele marketer about long distance service and got slammed, complete nightmare to switch back.

The way I look at it, if you can't send an intro in the mail and then show up in person, you don't have anything worthwhile to sell or offer and your a fraud. (I said IMHO, and my statement could be wrong, but I have a business to run, not time to waste on the phones).

You'll get along well with Huggy here on the forum :)

I see no reason to hang up or chew someone out. They are generally people that don't know how to get a better job. It takes two seconds to say "I'm sorry sir but I'm not interested" and hang up. You already picked up the phone, that was the most time consuming part.

I'm not saying I don't hate the calls, but I don't agree with your response.

glenneena
11-23-2011, 02:15 PM
I probably over dramatized my actions, I normally say no, not interested, not buying anything now. But most call and call and call and have our numbers on repeating dialers and that is also not fair. Our phones do get busy and more than once I have had clients hang up or lose people calling in for service on cell phones only to answer an incoming call and it is a cold caller. Sorry, but just feel it is the wrong way to sell.

billbenson
11-23-2011, 04:08 PM
I probably over dramatized my actions, I normally say no, not interested, not buying anything now. But most call and call and call and have our numbers on repeating dialers and that is also not fair. Our phones do get busy and more than once I have had clients hang up or lose people calling in for service on cell phones only to answer an incoming call and it is a cold caller. Sorry, but just feel it is the wrong way to sell.

Then we pretty much agree. Its generally a slime bag way of selling. It can also work and be time well spent for certain salesman. Take some sales guy for some company and the phones aren't ringing. If he gets on the phone he might get some sales.The bigger problem in this example is the company is doing a lousy job of marketing if the phones aren't ringing. But could you really blame the sales guy. At least he put hamburger helper on his family's plate that day.

queenvictoria
03-31-2012, 10:26 AM
The status of our economy should not stop you from marketing your enterprise. It does not have to be through expensive advertising. You can start it off by using your own social networking accounts. You may also use inexpensive promotional tools such as posters, to let your target demographics discover the existence of your business. :)

jrobconsult
04-10-2012, 08:07 AM
You should used several methods to market your business. The networking involving Chamber of Commerce is good and join a committee to even get more exposure for your business. Direct mail letters, flyers or a postcard followed up with a phone call can be a great way, if you have the right message. Do something free for a high profile non-profit and you may have all the business contacts you need. These are just a few of the possibilities.

CallboxInc
07-31-2012, 04:19 AM
If you are targeting locally, it is best to do flyers and personally stopping by their companies. This way you can discuss your service. If it is on a large scale, I suggest that you do email marketing, then follow it up with telemarketing.