PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Page...Not a Profile!

SocialMediaWiz
08-04-2011, 07:57 PM
I have found that a lot of business owners have trouble understanding the difference between a Facebook profile and a Facebook page. Thought I'd use this opportunity to clarify.

If your purpose is to create a Facebook account for your business, brand or product(s) what you want is a Facebook page. This is tricky of course, because you need a personal Facebook account in order to create a Facebook page.

A word to the wise! Do NOT create your company's Facebook page through your personal Facebook account. It's just not a good idea. It's easy to get confused when you're switching between profile and page. And there's always the dreaded possibility that a family member or friend will post some embarrassing photo, comment, etc. Not good to associate to your professional reputation.

Ideas:
#1 Create a new Facebook account. Don't worry about uploading a profile picture or typing in any information other than what's necessary to get the account started. Then verify your account from your email address (I suggest signing up with your company email or creating a separate gmail account). Once you've verified your account, you can create your company's page.

#2 If you already have a personal Facebook, why not create a professional Facebook account? Use a professional headshot for the profile picture, make friends with clients, prospects or vendors, and limit your information to resume-like detail. Then, create your company Facebook page through that account.

Hope this is useful to some of you...

Kerry