PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Membership Software Suggestions

Paul Elliott
08-03-2011, 04:52 PM
I have a client who will be needing membership sw. What packages, comments, experiences, recommendations, etc. do you have experience or thoughts on?

Thank you for your time and effort.

Paul

Patrysha
08-03-2011, 05:19 PM
It really depends on the purpose of it. Amember is quite common in the internet marketing circles I connect with, many use Wishlist (a Wordpress plug in)...there are a few other options depending on how they are setting up their membership program and how the content is being delivered (if it's an info-product type membership)...

Everything changes when you shift over to a membership program for a B&M business...

jamestl2
08-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Yep, depends on what type of membership system you're seeking.

I really like vBulletin for message posting, discussing topics etc. The company I work for however uses InfusionSoft:
Marketing Automation and Small Business CRM Software | Infusionsoft (http://www.infusionsoft.com/)

And it's corresponding WP plugin:
Infusionsoft | Infusion Soft | Infusion Software (http://www.infusionwp.com/)

Infusion is geared more towards businesses that want to generate sales, marketing, etc.

Paul Elliott
08-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Thank you, Patrysha and James.

This is a fairly simple online membership project. They will be having coaching billed as a single payment, 2 payments, or monthly payments. Some of it will be 1-on-1 contact and other portions will be monthly accessed/delivered digital products.

In addition to the coaching program, there will be a Forum behind the membership wall.

Paul

seolman
08-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi Paul,

A few questions that would be required to make a recommendation:

Are there multiple levels of membership? For example: bronze, silver, gold, platinum.
What privileges are enjoyed by members vs. non-members? For example: members receive access to more pages in a web site or lower pricing within an online store?
Will you offer varying lengths of membership (3mo/6mo/9mo) or a single annual fee?

Depending on the answers to the above there are a number of open source packages that can support memberships including WordPress, Drupal and others. Each would likely require some custom modules/code to meet your needs.

I have an acquaintance who uses (and is happy with) Member Gate but I understand the entry price is pretty steep. membership site software and content manager solution - MemberGate (http://www.membergate.com/)

Edit: perhaps due to a caching issue I did not see your second post Paul. I see you have already answered some of the questions I posed.

Paul Elliott
08-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Thank you, Seolman.

Are there multiple levels of membership? For example: bronze, silver, gold, platinum.

Initially there woudn't be such a requirement, but as their services expand, it would be excellent to have that capability.

What privileges are enjoyed by members vs. non-members? For example: members receive access to more pages in a web site or lower pricing within an online store?

Initially that wouldn't be required. However, it would be good to have the features available as their offerings increased.

Will you offer varying lengths of membership (3mo/6mo/9mo) or a single annual fee?

Their initial coaching would be by several payment lengths (See above.).

Depending on the answers to the above there are a number of open source packages that can support memberships including WordPress, Drupal and others. Each would likely require some custom modules/code to meet your needs.

Right now they are using Joomla. I'm not sure of the relative pros and cons of the various systems. I suppose with the popularity of WordPress and the array of plug-ins available, it may be good to migrate to this platform at their early stage.

Paul

seolman
08-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Right now they are using Joomla. I'm not sure of the relative pros and cons of the various systems. I suppose with the popularity of WordPress and the array of plug-ins available, it may be good to migrate to this platform at their early stage.l

I think WordPress would do well in this application - but I will defer to VG's higher level of experience with the product. I know there are WP modules available to manage member access to content. I'm not sure how WP would handle integration with a Forum (that is members get access to both additional content + Forum part of the site) - I'm simply not familiar enough with WordPress to know if they have such functionality available in a standard module.