PDA

View Full Version : Website Visits-2 part question

Georgias Gifts
08-02-2011, 11:47 PM
#1-I have a counter on my website visits and I keep getting views from this site:

shophelp.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=36970

Can anyone tell me anything about this address?

#2- Also, I have had a couple of visits from Bulgaria and they look at almost my entire site- 400+ page views. I figure they are copying my site & pictures. I know there are programs that prevent this, can anyone recemmend a program?

vangogh
08-03-2011, 12:40 AM
With your first question I was thinking it was just a forum that had linked to you, but since the site doesn't load, and because the .ru extension indicates it's a russian site, and because something is throwing off Google's cache of the page, I'm going to guess it's some kind of spam. One spam tactic is to make it appear like a site is linking to you so you'll visit that site. It could just be a forum linking to you though and the site happens to be down at the moment. I doubt it's anything to worry about.

With the 2nd site it is possible that's what the site is doing. It's possible they're just crawling your site and not doing anything wrong. There's not going to be a program to prevent them crawling your site, but you can block the IP address being used from accessing any part of your site. Depending on your hosting account you possibly have something in your control panel called IP deny or IP blocker. You'd need to find the IP address(es) of the Bulgarian visitors and add them to IP deny.

billbenson
08-12-2011, 10:21 PM
You can block visitors by domain also. At least in htaccess you can. I don't know how the control panel ones work.

DeniseTaylor
08-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Hi

I agree that it might just be spiders visiting your site, but if you want to guard against content theft, you can use Copyscape. (copyscape.com)

It's pretty easy to set up and free/low cost. If you have a larger site, it could be more. This service regularly scans the web for duplicate content and will report to you when it finds instances of your content appearing on the Web.

Another way (low tech) to check if your content is being stolen is to randomly select pages from your site, highlight and copy areas of text, then paste it into Google's search field. Put quotes around it, because this will tell Google to search for that exact string of text.

If pages are returned, then check them out. If those pages are plagiarized, you need to report it. Act fast though, because you don't want your search results being affected and/or any of the other complications that can occur if you move slowly.

Here is a page that describes some action steps to take in case your site is plagiarized: Report Plagiarism: How to act when your work is Stolen | Copyright Laws (http://copyrightlaws.phoenix-blogs.com/report-plagiarism-how-to-act-when-your-work-is-stolen/)

Good luck! I hope it's just spiders and not thieves.

Georgias Gifts
08-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks, Denise. I'll check that out.

vangogh
08-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Georgia I just did a search in Google for the url you posted in question #1 above. I searched in Google because they provide a link to show the page translated into English. Clicking the translate link led me to

A forum post with your link followed by the sentence, "Very fun store with a variety of cats." I think it's harmless and just a fan of your store.