PDA

View Full Version : hard day

greenoak
08-01-2011, 11:57 PM
we are getting ready for our yardsale....expecting 1000 people next sunday....i had about 8 people working today.... just a madhouse....and tonight, after 8, my arkansas buddy brought his load of iron... like bottle trees arbors benches etc etc.....
on the inverntory side, it really shows you all your mistakes.... we sort thru the whole store ...
4 workers who know nothing and need constant direction is a real challenge...buti am so thankful for them.... its a lot of heavy moving too...
it was a fun day...
on the downside.... a few times i caught 3 together talking..... each making 10 an hour...ka..CHING....
dh cut his hand and cant do anything...
thats my business life for today.......

huggytree
08-02-2011, 09:00 AM
on a hard day i get Sewage sprayed on my face or get dog Bites..........yesterday i was pushing a drill bit through a cabinet bottom and it suddenly gave...my face hit the top of the cabinet smashing my teeth...1 tooth moved and was a bit bloody....now today im going to the dentist to see if its alright or if it will fall out.....i cut or bruise myself almost daily on something....sometimes i have to crawl in crawlspaces next to dead mice or raccoon poop

your hard day doesnt sound too bad to me

in the end i do it because the reward is far beyond my expectations and is worth the damage to my body.....im sure your reward(profit) is worth all the stress of managing people and events too!...

greenoak
08-02-2011, 09:10 AM
egads huggy!!!
ditto on the last point...its more than the money....but thats nice too...

huggytree
08-02-2011, 12:42 PM
construction is a hard life....carpenters fire nails into their hands and feet, people fall off ladders(one friend got pinned under the ladder with (2) broken shoulder somethings for 3 hours before someone came), I breath in chemicals all day long , lots of guys work in asbestos(and dont wear masks)

every job has its up side and down side......hopefully the reward covers the downside....i didnt go to college, but make 2-3x as much as my friends who did....they sit in an office looking at the clock all day while i work with my hands and never look at the clock

greenoak
08-02-2011, 05:09 PM
me too...i never know when its quitting time..today we worked outside in 90 degrees..we toted aqnd priced and carried iron around ......dang!!! but its looking good and i hope i got some good pictures for my facebook...i just couldnt sit all day... im up and on cement all day everyday....
i went to college....but for english and literature...it was so worth it tho!!!
those chemicals c an really get you huggy!!! you arent immortal...like i tell my kid...

billbenson
08-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Look on the bright side Huggy, you don't work on an oil platform. I sell to those guys. The environment is as dirty as you can get all the time (doubt it smells like sewage though). They spend the day moving stuff around that is really heavy (their drill bits aren't the ones you have)! Something moves wrong or breaks and someone looses an arm or a life.

I'm not saying your job isn't tough, but there is always something worse out there. In the case of my example I suspect those guys have a pretty high salary. I don't know though.

seolman
08-02-2011, 05:59 PM
on a hard day i get Sewage sprayed on my face or get dog Bites...

If I'm stressed I usually get a massage or take a swim. You may find it a lot more relaxing.

sammy wammy
08-23-2011, 08:54 PM
construction is a hard life....carpenters fire nails into their hands and feet, people fall off ladders(one friend got pinned under the ladder with (2) broken shoulder somethings for 3 hours before someone came), I breath in chemicals all day long , lots of guys work in asbestos(and dont wear masks)

every job has its up side and down side......hopefully the reward covers the downside....i didnt go to college, but make 2-3x as much as my friends who did....they sit in an office looking at the clock all day while i work with my hands and never look at the clock

huggytree, you are right. construction is tough. for years, my dad worked as a San Francisco handyman. he told me about one of his worst days on a construction site. he was taking a break, not wearing a hard hat (big mistake) and someone dropped a tool from above. he was hit in the head and knocked out cold. thankfully, it was only a tool and not something much heavier. he has all kinds of stories of various injuries sustained while at work. to me, it doesn't seem worth the risk of injury, but he always did love it.

billbenson
08-27-2011, 07:43 PM
this is a test

huggytree
08-29-2011, 04:43 PM
iddddddddddddddddd

huggytree
08-29-2011, 04:43 PM
huggytree, you are right. construction is tough. for years, my dad worked as a San Francisco handyman. he told me about one of his worst days on a construction site. he was taking a break, not wearing a hard hat (big mistake) and someone dropped a tool from above. he was hit in the head and knocked out cold. thankfully, it was only a tool and not something much heavier. he has all kinds of stories of various injuries sustained while at work. to me, it doesn't seem worth the risk of injury, but he always did love it.

i was working on a house one day and went to my van to get a part...WHAMMMMM something hit me in the head...it was a quicksquare (a metal triangle carpenters use)...here the 2 idiots were throwing it back and forth on the roof because one guy forgot his...blood ran down my face from it and the guy refused to say 'im sorry'....i got him kicked off the job...i refused to go back into the house until his boss got him off the jobsite.....he was a dangerous idiot and didnt care that he just punctured my head..

huggytree
08-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Look on the bright side Huggy, you don't work on an oil platform. I sell to those guys. The environment is as dirty as you can get all the time (doubt it smells like sewage though). They spend the day moving stuff around that is really heavy (their drill bits aren't the ones you have)! Something moves wrong or breaks and someone looses an arm or a life.

I'm not saying your job isn't tough, but there is always something worse out there. In the case of my example I suspect those guys have a pretty high salary. I don't know though.

im sure there are a hundred jobs worse than mine....but there are probably 1000's better....if i did drain cleaning my job would be much worse...i lose a few hundred a week by giving away the drain cleaning jobs, but there's no way im getting poop all over myself every day.....over all my job is somewhat clean on most days

Dee2x
08-31-2011, 01:11 PM
On a hard day I just remember how blessed I am and go for a long walk.