PDA

View Full Version : Great way to find guest blogging opportunities?

Mary
07-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Everybody uses Google to find and research stuff online, here's a real good way to find guest post opportunities by doing a simple Google query.

In the Google search box put this in:

your keyword intext:"guest post"

Exchange "your keyword" with whatever industry, or subject you want to post on, e.g., if you're into food or restaurants and you want to promote your food blog, put in "foodie" or "recipes". Make sure on your guest post you add a link back to your site!

There you go, a huge list of blogs in your industry that have guest posts!

vangogh
07-29-2011, 12:38 AM
Definitely one way. I prefer following blogs in your industry. I think by reading them you get a better sense of the community and which blog's audience is a better match for your site. Naturally knowing more about the community helps you write something they'd be more interested in. It also gives you a chance to connect with the owner(s) of the blog.

noshmarketing
08-22-2011, 09:16 PM
I prefer to use HARO and BloggerLinkUp.com. HARO is by far the best way to get visibility on blogs, whether through guest posting or just becoming a source and earning a link tht way. As a blogger, I can tell you that I use HARO probably once a month, and whenever I quote a source, I always include a link to their site.

BloggerLinkUp will always be my favorite "traditional" (if you can call it that) place to trade guest post opportunities.

vangogh
08-23-2011, 11:28 AM
My Blog Guest (http://myblogguest.com/) is another resource for finding guest bloggers and guest blogging opportunities.

I still think the best way to get guest blogging opportunities is to pay attention to the blogs in your industry or those related to your topic. You'll get a much better sense which blogs have audiences that fit with your site and which are the true authority blogs. It'll also help you write content that both the blogger and audience will want to read.

People often approach me to write a guest post for me. It's pretty clear from their emails that they found me through some search or on some list, but have never read anything on my site. Their emails read like canned responses much of the time. I always reply that I'm open to publishing a guest post, but won't guarantee publishing without first seeing what they write. I then let them know what I'm looking for. Of those that do send a finished post none are ever worth posting.

When I'm given a guest posting opportunity I'm usually familiar with the site. I then dig through the archives looking for topics that haven't been covered much, but that fit well with the site and what I normally write about. I collect posts from the site that I'll link to and spend time looking through how each page is formatted. My goal is to write a post as though the site was mine. I'm trying to write the best post I can to help that blog as much as possible. The net result is usually a decent amount of traffic back to my site along with some new subscribers to my blog. In every case the blogger has contacted me again to write more.

noshmarketing
08-24-2011, 01:48 AM
That's a great way to look for guest post opportunities organically and that's typically how I go about it for my corporate blogging clients, since the industries are very specific. I used My Blog Guest for a very brief period of time. I didn't want to be part of the forum over there so my experience didn't last long, although I do travel in the same blogger-circle as Ann Smarty and love what she is doing there.

I've been guest posting/hosting for a little over a year, although I very rarely look for guest posting opportunities any more. One of my blogs, bizchickblogs, is structured for guest blogging, so I receive a number of requests each month. When I do guest post, it's only on blogs belonging to people I know. I did one last week and I think that was the first in over 6 months.

vangogh
08-24-2011, 11:33 AM
I've reached the point too where it's usually now others coming to me asking me to write for them. Makes it a lot easier to find guest posting opportunities. Recently I've been getting approached by others to write something for my blog. Most of the time what gets submitted is pretty generic content that could be published on any blog. I make the decision about publishing based on whether or not I think my audience will appreciate the post. More often than not I don't think they will. I'm sure most of the people submitting to me are doing so not because they read anything on my site, but because the home page has a certain PR.

To me the organic approach makes sense because it accomplishes several things. You find the authority blogs, you get to find a good match between an audience and your writing, you get to network with influential bloggers. I know it's not as quick and easy a process and choosing a site based on their use of certain keywords or similar. Not that the latter can't work, but I think the former leads to more lasting success.

Chrisw
09-19-2012, 07:38 PM
I have learned a lot from this thread. Despite being an old thread, I thought about sharing another great source called
blogsynergy For finding guest blogging opportunities.

KristineS
09-20-2012, 12:06 PM
I prefer to use HARO and BloggerLinkUp.com. HARO is by far the best way to get visibility on blogs, whether through guest posting or just becoming a source and earning a link tht way. As a blogger, I can tell you that I use HARO probably once a month, and whenever I quote a source, I always include a link to their site.

BloggerLinkUp will always be my favorite "traditional" (if you can call it that) place to trade guest post opportunities.

Love HARO! So many opportunities there. I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often when people are writing about how to generate publicity for a business.

AccountantSalary
09-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks Mary -- it's a simple suggestion, but one that's new to us newbies. I'll be checking out to see what opportunities it brings for advertising through posting.

dianecoleen
09-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Wew. This is definitely a helpful post. We all know that guest posting is one great way on getting substantial link back. And this post is one great help to me, although the thread is way to old. Thank you for bringing this back though.

simplybusiness
10-12-2012, 06:30 AM
I think a really great strategy is to try to network with "influencers" who own well known websites. If you can establish a social connection and get them to know you, your chances of getting your guest posts reviewed and approved on their websites are much much higher. You can get to know "influencers" by attending internet marketing events or via online meetings like Google hangouts. Do not approach them asking for guest posts until they have a good understanding of who you are and what you can contribute to their website.

WebBizIdeas
10-15-2012, 04:24 PM
HI,

I agree you need to find and get to know influencers with your industry. Sites like MyBlogGuest are good, but if you really want to find high quality sites that really relate to you you should go out and find your own.

marrick
12-22-2013, 10:37 AM
I also find it more beneficial if you are going to post contents to a blog that you know the most. I mean the ones that you follow most of the time. Because this will allow you to cover the things that the blog owner is not aware of. Though it takes quite a long time, it is still worth the effort.