PDA

View Full Version : Legality of Informational Products?

KingHippo
08-07-2008, 10:57 AM
If I wanted to sell instructional videos I made that teach people how to use software like Microsoft Visual Studio, Adobe Photoshop etc., can I do this legally right away as long as I state I am not affiliated with Microsoft, Adobe etc.?

Do I have to get permission from the company that made these products? Would I have to pay a licensing fee to these companies? Any other information you could give me on this would be appreciated.

vangogh
08-09-2008, 01:40 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think you need permission to teach someone how to use a company's product. I don't even think you need to mention your not affiliated with the company. Your offering is the information and not the software.

You couldn't sell the software without the permission of the company, but you should be able to sell an instructional video without requiring the company's permission.

KingHippo
08-10-2008, 10:37 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think you need permission to teach someone how to use a company's product. I don't even think you need to mention your not affiliated with the company. Your offering is the information and not the software.

You couldn't sell the software without the permission of the company, but you should be able to sell an instructional video without requiring the company's permission.

Great, this is the answer I wanted! If anyone else thinks otherwise, please be sure to chime in!

vangogh
08-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Remember I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on tv, but I'm pretty sure in this case you're fine with what you described. It's always best to consult an attorney though if you want to be sure.

Evan
08-11-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm not an attorney either. But there shouldn't be an issue as long as these informational videos are doing legal things.

What you describe would appear to be acceptable. Yet had you tried to complete a video and include a method of "cracking" the program so you didn't have to pay for it -- then you'll have some issues.

Otherwise, all you're doing is providing more advertising to that company or product. Why would they complain?