PDA

View Full Version : the wow factor

greenoak
07-16-2011, 08:14 PM
we heard it all day....wow. what a store ...best place....yesterday on e said "i felt like paris hilton,when she went out on jobs, coming down the road and seeing trees and chickens".... how long have you been here..... etc etc etc....its wonderful... IF they get here they really are happy and complimtery...
.. the constant question is how to get them to come the first time... ...what could we do different?.. on the billboards,,the web , the ads...,on facebook, our reaching out to the public?... our target customers a re so scattered...
the trikkky part is its not actually about antiques...thats not w hat they are thrilled with.... they arent old time antique people by any means...
i would try anything ...if it seemed right...we have a big budget to spend and great man power.......we are a destination shop, a regional shop...that means pulling folks from a wide geographic circle...not just local...
????? any new ideas for me?? any wild crazy ideas you see working in your area?..

Dan Furman
07-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Maybe you already do this, but do you advertise like a destination? Hotel lobbies / rest area racks / exit "attraction" signs on highways / tourist info guidebooks / etc?

greenoak
07-17-2011, 09:36 PM
thats such good advice..... i ve tried those things in a half way way...... without much luck....maybe i could work harder at this.... maybe pay to be in a tourist listing.....
sure is something to think about...

Steve B
07-18-2011, 06:15 AM
There is an antique shop around here that does this. Apparently it's famous throughout the country and is a destination for a lot or extremely wealthy people (Science Hill in Shelbyville, KY). I went in there once and couldn't afford anything, so it must have nice stuff.

Dan Furman
07-18-2011, 03:37 PM
thats such good advice..... i ve tried those things in a half way way...... without much luck....maybe i could work harder at this.... maybe pay to be in a tourist listing.....
sure is something to think about...

I've *definitely* gone to places from finding out about them at the rest area information rack/etc.

Maybe also look at other things in your area that are destinations, and piggyback on them.

For example, is there a NASCAR race/ Football Stadium / etc? Maybe get an ad in the program.

greenoak
07-18-2011, 04:07 PM
theres nothing close....but i think tere might be some state wide places ifi keep looking....lts of dead ends s far,,,,, our billboards and web do the main work now...

jdhopkins
09-01-2011, 05:36 PM
This may not apply, but if there are other "boutique"-type businesses in your area, consider working with them on a "road trip" theme. You could set up a map that includes all of the businesses and offer something special but related to the road trip at each stop and offer a very exclusive gift or discount for those who complete the trip.

Another idea: offer a special meal at your place of business. Advertise through every venue you can think of, take reservations, use your antiques to serve or decorate the area you hold this event in.

Just a couple of ideas that would appeal to me...

greenoak
09-02-2011, 08:46 AM
right jd....the road trip idea is so good.... we are actually thinking about the map idea too.....the question seems to be ....do we want to send our customers to a lot of other places? we would probably be the biggest place in a regional group of places.... most of my stagff says no we shouldnt...since the people have just so much money and so much time for shopping..so why should we send them somewhere else........
we love event ideas....any more?

BeTheBest
09-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Hi greenoak!
I think you're missing one point. I am assuming you have a website, correct? Ok, why are you not building your own list of subscribers.

Doing that means you will be able to communicate with TARGETED prospects. Instead of just running ads and dumping money into a money pit (they do exist, you know!), drive traffic to your site for free info. That way, you set yourself up as the expert in the market.

It's not an instant solution, but I assure you that it is rewarding. There is an entire process to get people to register with you and how to conduct your e-mail campaign and I am not going to get into all there here. But you would have a targeted and excellent value in that list!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

greenoak
09-08-2011, 06:33 PM
we do that ... A LOT.... we have a data base of about 3000 email connections....folks who have voluntarily given us their email..
we always want more tho!!!lol.
i like your idea for more free/good info on our site....

greenoak
09-08-2011, 06:34 PM
we do that ... A LOT.... we have a data base of about 3000 email connections....folks who have voluntarily given us their email...
we always want more tho!!!
i like your idea for more free/good info on our site....the few things we have are very appreciated...

SCUBA9097
09-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Ann,

How about a video for a commercial featuring the things people have mentioned that they like? It could be played at local movie theatres before the previews, local TV stations, etc. Just a thought.

greenoak
09-08-2011, 10:58 PM
that sounds good...thakns

Stu_Upton
09-15-2011, 12:01 PM
You may want to check with your insurance company before trying this but instead of advertising in boutique hotels / restaurants how about placing products in them, the location gets free use of some beautiful antiques and you get to hang a 'for sale' tag on the item to either sell direct or draw business into your store.

Reflo Ltd
09-21-2011, 12:28 AM
Events that are of particular interest to your demographic could work.

Maybe a version of Antiques Roadshow.... or see about having the real thing film an episode there.

Press releases to local news shows that could get you air time.

Host an event that appeals to your clientele

Any radio shows that are local and that discuss things related to your business... like the car guy type shows on the weekends. Get involved with them in some way. They are on smaller stations but typically have a dedicated audience.

Any chance to host an auction? your own stuff or consignment from others.... you could work a deal with a local auctioneer to have it at your location.

I am just thinking out loud.

scottish
09-22-2011, 02:10 PM
I've never visited an antique store lol I'm soo working class...