PDA

View Full Version : Yet another business naming thread

BillR
10-15-2008, 11:26 AM
I've been looking for a name for an IT business and I'm having trouble deciding.

I could go with my last name (which is not actually Smith) and do something like:

Smith Co. (etc etc)

Or I could go with something a little more edgey - like one of those invented IT names.

I can't really decide which way to go....using a last name always makes me think of a more "local" business though - and I want this to be a national service business.

Thoughts?

Dan Furman
10-15-2008, 11:44 AM
I've been looking for a name for an IT business and I'm having trouble deciding.

I could go with my last name (which is not actually Smith) and do something like:

Smith Co. (etc etc)

Or I could go with something a little more edgey - like one of those invented IT names.

I can't really decide which way to go....using a last name always makes me think of a more "local" business though - and I want this to be a national service business.

Thoughts?

adding "tech" to the end of some names sounds cool.

KristineS
10-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm never fond of using last names in businesses. Or, for that matter, first names.

One of our companies works with machine embroidery businesses and a lot of them are called things like "Krissy's Embroidery" or "Sew What" or something like that. Cute names aren't as innovative as people think.

Using words like Tech, Global etc. might be a good way to go for a IT business.

BillR
10-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Actually, the name I'm thinking of would combine a business name and one or more of the following words:

Design
Fulfillment
Analysis
Monitoring
Remediation

Something like Squippio Analysis, Design, and Fullfillment Technologies.

Obviously I made up Squippio. No way I'd actually use that as a name.

The company itself will actually provide the following services:

-Network/device monitoring
-Patch/version monitoring and control
-Management consulting services
-Systems remediation and design to replace/upgrade IT systems as necessary.

orion_joel
10-16-2008, 12:54 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is pick something that is easy to pronounce, I have Orion Networks for my business name, and you would be surprised at the number of people that have to ask how to spell Orion.

Anyway i would maybe think about using something that you can modify to suit the purpose of a few different divisions. Just an example but maybe something like All Tech * (* being Monitoring, Consulting, design, or whatever else you want). The idea being that you may register All Tech Co. or something as your company and then have DBA's for the different Services. It may be a little more work to market, however it allows you to market specific functions of the business rather then a general all over name that needs to fit about 3 or 4 different areas and requires constant explanation of the services you provide.

Although separate you could still market them all together.

vangogh
10-16-2008, 04:23 AM
Bill I have trouble picking names too, but I can still offer some general advice.

A shorter name is usually better than a longer one. A shorter name will be easier to remember and spell and say to others. Make it as memorable as you can. You may want to use something descriptive too. It sounds like you're already planning that anyway. The descriptive name tells people what you're doing without them having to ask and odds are the descriptive word will be one use in search engines to find your business. The keyword in your domain could help (assuming there will be a site of course)

For search purposes you're probably better off adding the non descriptive word at the end instead of the beginning. designsmith.com is probably a better domain than smithdesign.com if you're targeting design, but Smith Design makes more sense as a business name.

I don't have a problem using names as part of the business name. It depends on the business though. Sometimes the made up words come across as corny to me and they often don't communicate anything. A real name can lend a sense of stability to the name and helps personalize it. Squippio Design tells me nothing, but Smith Design at least lets me see a real person behind the business.

If you think of more conservative industries like the legal profession they do tend to name the company after the owner(s).

What Joel says makes sense when it comes to other divisions of the company. You may not want to have different divisions in the company, but if you do plan on offering a variety of services or products it could make sense to find a more all encompassing or generic name.

I like names that are somewhat descriptive and somewhat personal. For the personal part you could always use a word that means something to you, but doesn't necessarily come to mind immediately with the descriptive word. For example if you like to play chess you could become Rook Design or Bishop Design. Just know that the word you choose will imply certain things. Rook would probably lead to thoughts of chess since it's not common to use the word outside the game. Bishop on the other hand probably first leads to religious thoughts.

Another option with the choice of the word is to pick something that conveys part of your branding message. If you wanted to be seen as a funky edgy design company you'd look for a word that was edgy. It might not have to be a word that's symbolic of edgy design, but symbolic of being edgy. This probably isn't the best example, but some might say skateboarders are edgy. So Skateboard Design could convey edginess without using the actual word or a synonym. It also conveys other images as well which may or may not fit.

I think the key with the non descriptive word is to pick something that reinforces how you want your brand to be perceived.

lav
10-29-2008, 06:19 AM
Yep! Squippio.... name it Squippio. If you dont use it can I?

Squippio Signs ..... I luv it:)

KarenB
11-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Actually, the name I'm thinking of would combine a business name and one or more of the following words:

Design
Fulfillment
Analysis
Monitoring
Remediation

Something like Squippio Analysis, Design, and Fullfillment Technologies.

Obviously I made up Squippio. No way I'd actually use that as a name.

The company itself will actually provide the following services:

-Network/device monitoring
-Patch/version monitoring and control
-Management consulting services
-Systems remediation and design to replace/upgrade IT systems as necessary.

Hi BillR,

Just curious...how did you come up with the name "Squippio"? It's certainly as catchy as "Google" or "Twitter". I like it.

I find brand names that don't limit themselves to one service very appealing, especially when they encompass a wide variety of services.

What is your niche market? Who are you targeting?

Karen