PDA

View Full Version : MMA @ Patrysha

billbenson
06-30-2011, 12:44 AM
I couldn't find your original post so...

I just clicked on some old Ali, Fraser, Forman fights from long ago. It struck me that there was something there that isn't being capitalized on in MMA. For most people it was a fun sport at the time and had a wide audience. For those that understood the sport it was great because you had a lot of really good fighters at that time and it continued into the future a bit ie Sugar Ray etc. I don't know what it was, but there was some absolute magic there.

MMA has much of what was in boxing. Skilled fighters, its real, not staged like wrestling etc. Somehow there is a lack of charisma and ?? that keeps it from growing to the popularity of boxing in its prime. I suspect one of the things that hurts it is the aroma of professional wrestling. The yelling, the cage etc and people don't take it seriously when they should.

It strikes me that there is really an opportunity to take it from professional wrestling to old time boxing. For starters it's real, show people the punches and kicks are real. When it goes to the ground, show people the skill that grappling takes. I don't know, but there has to be a good way to promote this and take it to another level.

I'd take a good look at boxing in its prime for promoting MMA.

Patrysha
06-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Oh there's tons I would do if I was promoting MMA full time or as a client. I don't know if I'd have the patience to deal with the promoters though.

In this case, my client/employer is actually a restaurant. We play UFC fights and are sponsoring a live event in a nearby town...so hosting the meet and greet and selling fight tickets.

Yeah, all this in an effort to sell more booze and wings...lol

billbenson
06-30-2011, 10:53 PM
I was thinking along different lines. Sounds like you need a hard rock cafe / specialized sports bar / hooters sort of model :)

Patrysha
06-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Oh good gracious please no....especially not hooters....