PDA

View Full Version : Facebook contest

gsteinmetz
06-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi, I'm currently in charge of a Facebook contest to gain more followers and I'm wondering how I could effectively communicate with business owners to promote it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

greenoak
06-27-2011, 06:53 PM
what kind of business?

gsteinmetz
06-28-2011, 10:41 AM
It's a Payment Processing Company. We provide Merchant Accounts (mainly credit/debit cards processing to merchants).

tylerhutchinson
06-28-2011, 05:23 PM
What sort of business, and what sort of contest?

Just in general I would raise awareness that it is happening, possibly purchase some advertisements on the side to promote it, link it to other social media sites or web sites, if it is more local put fliers in applicable spots, or build some word of mouth following.

TO be more detailed I would need details in the contest itself. :)

tylerhutchinson
06-28-2011, 05:24 PM
What sort of business, and what sort of contest?

Just in general I would raise awareness that it is happening, possibly purchase some advertisements on the side to promote it, link it to other social media sites or web sites, if it is more local put fliers in applicable spots, or build some word of mouth following.

TO be more detailed I would need details in the contest itself. :)

gsteinmetz
06-28-2011, 05:46 PM
It's a payment processing business. Credit and debit card processing.

gsteinmetz
07-08-2011, 02:15 PM
any ideas?

greenoak
07-08-2011, 03:15 PM
our business is flooded with credit card calls, ads, emails..... so unwanted..
..but good luck..
..also i think there are lots of rules about contests on facebook.....
the ad idea sounds lthe best....you can really target with facebook...

mhilliarda
07-30-2011, 05:53 PM
This is a good question. I've been thinking about running a contest and posting about it on our Facebook page. Geenoak, I went to read the rules for contests on Facebook, but not sure I still understand them. If I'm running a contest that isn't directly through our FB page, if I'm just using FB to post about the contest, do those same rules apply? I'm a little confused on the details. Does anyone know/understand them, or have a good resource that talks more in depth about them?

greenoak
07-31-2011, 07:49 AM
i dont know all the rules either..it always sounds confusing...
.you might have some luck if you check out ... grandma mary... on facebook...she covers about everything....http://www.facebook.com/GrandmaMaryShow
shes one of the authors of the new facebook for dummies book...

Georgias Gifts
08-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I've read in several places you must have a 3rd party declare the winner of your contests.

Ann- the grandma mary fb is a hoot! it will be entertaining to read her posts.

noshmarketing
08-22-2011, 09:11 PM
The rules are that you need to use a third party app (such as Wildfire or North Social or something) if you plan to use ANY Facebook functionality at all in your contest. This includes comments, photos, "likes," or shares. This also includes even the announcement of the winner via Facebook.

I would use Facebook Ads to promote your contest; link the ads to a Facebook page (not an external URL). I would use a third party app like the ones I mentioned above to turn your page's landing/welcome page into the contest promo page. Rather than have the contest use Facebook functionality, simply collect info (name, email, address, phone) on that landing page via a form. That will start your "list."

That's the simplest and best way to use Facebook to promote a contest without risking using Facebook assets that could get you banned from the site forever. The bonus is that you get to keep all of that contact info. I used to help with Facebook and other social media contests that relied on things like "likes" or comments but the problem is that it isn't a good way to start a prospect list.

The point is to further your business rather than seeking engagement for engagement sake. Anyway, good luck with it!

Cheers,
Tia

greenoak
08-24-2011, 09:33 AM
tia, what are facebok asssets?
what have you seen that got businesses banned?
i like your landing page idea....comments are great but lots of folks who really like you and read your page might not ever comment....i see it that way anyway...