PDA

View Full Version : Hiring staff as a sole proprietor?

krisf2
06-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Hello everyone,

Im new to this forum as well as the business industry so I have a ton of questions related to owning/operationg my own business. I finally got fed up working for "the man" and have decided to do my own thing.

Now I've registered my business as a sole propietorship and one of the things Ive got to consider right away is hiring staff. Im going to be operation a commercial cleaning company and will not be able to complete the work myself as I will be assuming all the responsibilities of cleaning restaurants, from kitchen to dining room.

What is the best way to go about hiring staff and with whom do I have to register my employee with? do i have to hire a payroll company or do I just cut my employee a cheque? Do I have to register with WSIB? Ive tried doing research regarding this but am getting confused by all the legal business involved. The business is registered in Ontario.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed light on this matter for me.

Patrysha
06-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Get in touch with the Community Development Centre in your area. They'll be able to help connect you with people who can answer your questions for there...some stuff is federal when it comes to hiring employees and some is provincial.

You don't have to register anyone before they are hired, but you have to submit the payroll deductions to the CCRA monthly...

You don't have to hire a payroll company. Doing payroll is not that difficult though. Depends on whether you want to be doing your own books or not and how much of a budget you have really.

tylerhutchinson
06-28-2011, 05:36 PM
You would get your federal ID number first off. When you hire them you get them to fill out forms (W4) and then you would cut the check yourself. I would suggest buying quicken or Quickbooks to do your payroll. It is not hard and not worth the money to spend on a payroll business. You can link it to your company bank account, create the check through it, and it will track it all for you.

The only other thing you may want to look at is how you hire them (full time, hourly, per contract) to make sure you are not paying them when there is no work and you are getting the most out of your money and employees.

Patrysha
06-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Tyler...the instructions you provided are American...the OP is Canadian. Unless there's an Ontario in the States....