PDA

View Full Version : facebook

greenoak
06-24-2011, 06:21 PM
i thought this facebook story might be interesting to some out there... ...link below..
. ..
its on the grandma mary facebook page, which i get.......sheis a facebook and social media advisor... and uses it a lot herself....she has been talking about twitter a lot too....so far im not convinced to go there...

Grandma Mary - Social Media Edutainer
Interesting new study by The Next Web - 1 Facebook Fan is worth 20 web hits. Aww -

http://thenextweb.com/facebook/2011/06/23/1-facebook-fan-is-worth-20-visits-to-a-companys-website-says-report/

vangogh
06-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks Ann. Good article. Makes sense too. One thing I want to mention is it's 1 Fan = 20 visits. A web hit isn't a meaningful statistic. It doesn't change the value of the article, but figured I would mention it. Also keep in mind that the value is that each fan ends up resulting in 20 visits to your site so your site is still a big part of the equation.

It's interesting seeing some numbers used to attempt to measure the value of social sites, since it can be such a hard thing to measure.

Twitter works differently so it may or may not works as well as your Facebook page. Maybe you can mention Twitter to some of your customers and get a feel for whether or not they spend any time there. If they do it's probably worth checking out. One thing I do with Twitter is set up searches that I can save. You might save a search for a word like antiques and just listen in one what people say. It doesn't result in more people visiting your site or store, but it can sometimes give you some good ideas.

greenoak
06-24-2011, 08:02 PM
i can definitley see what you are saying about the informational value of twitter.....it could help on keeping up the trends .i guess im not interested enough to even get a rough idea of how i would go about hearing anything on there....
..as far as trends, im usually too far ahead of them for my location anyway..like a big favorite of mine right now is steampunk..and i doubt if it will ever hit here!!! i do get some chicago young people tho......

vangogh
06-24-2011, 09:35 PM
If you ever wanted to give it a try it's easy to set up. Obviously you need an account to start. I don't visit the site, but use the Twitter app. There's one for the iPad and it's free. One section lets you search so I'll type in the title of my latest blog post and pay attention to who's tweeting it. I have searches set up for my business name too. That way you can pay attention to what people might be saying about you.

I also have searches saved for things like WordPress themes. I try to pay attention to the things people are asking for in a theme or the problems they have in themes. That way I know what to fix in my own themes.

I don't really spend a lot of time on Twitter, but when I have the iPad or iPhone out I'll quickly glance at my saved searches. It takes a couple of minutes. Checking once or twice a day is enough to keep me on top of what's being said. Most blogs I read have the twitter buttons on them and when I read one I like I'll share it by clicking the button. Hopefully I post enough interesting things to make people want to follow me.

Maybe I spend 10-15 minutes a day total with Twitter, but it's enough to keep my account active.

tylerhutchinson
06-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Thank you for the article. I also do not spend much time on twitter 15-20 min and I have a bad habit of forgetting. Not a big thing to me currently.

vangogh
06-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Tyler do you spend much time on other social networks? Facebook maybe or LinkedIn? The thing with any social networking site is that it's naturally more valuable if your social network is there.

Also each has it's own pros. For example Twitter is usually very fast in reporting news. Boulder is an area where wildfires are a danger this time of year. In fact one started just outside town over the weekend. If I want to find out information about the current situation with any fire I'll usually get more up to date information searching via Twitter than I would searching Google or Facebook. Each network has it's strengths.

greenoak
06-29-2011, 09:30 AM
vg::: The thing with any social networking site is that it's naturally more valuable if your social network is there.....
thats hitting the nail on the head vg....facebook is so valuable to our store because our social/customer's social, network is there.....big time!!...it fits us like a glove....
whereas dh's golf course being on facebook wouldnt touch him or his buddies...since they arent talking to each other on it yet......
our page is directly linked to real cash for us about every week ..

vangogh
06-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Yep. Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn are filled with people, but if you don't know or interact with any of them then they might as well be empty. That's not to say you can't join any of them and build your own network of people to interact with of course. People often jump to be part of any networking site that makes the news, but you don't need to be a part of all of them. Try one and make it useful for you. Then if you want try another and see if you can make that useful for you too.