PDA

View Full Version : Success With Spirits? (Liquor, I mean)

954SEO
06-20-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm looking for the advice of an experienced entrepreneur. I have an uncle who was recently let go after 20+ years with a company. Very sad. Nice severance, but that's besides the point. Now, he is venturing in to a new company with a partner. It is for a new line of liquors. The launch for the brand will be at a rather nice night club in a big city... I have concerns, however, because I have seen so many new liquors and beers showcased at different venues throughout my time, and nothing ever seems to end up on the shelves (at bars or stores).

Has anyone had success in food and beverage and can maybe offer some advice? Any help is beyond appreciated! Thank you

vangogh
06-20-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't have specific experience in this, but I'll try to help. I know what you mean about new liquors not really taking off. We're still drinking the same stuff I always remember drinking.

What if your uncle worked with some bartenders to create a new drink specifically using his new liquor. If the drink becomes popular and people ask for it bars, will sooner cary the liquor. I think most people in bars ask for a drink and not so much a specific brand of liquor. Some do of course, but a typical bar or club people just ask for drinks. If you uncle can come up with a drink that requires his liquor it might help establish the new brand.

tylerhutchinson
06-20-2011, 11:44 AM
I know two people who have tried and failed. Micro-brewing is a big thing right now and you are finding more and more people doing it. This is creating a lot of competition for new companies to get in. Alcohol already has a lot of competition and alcohol is something that has a strong brand loyalty. If it is a great product I am sure he will be able to break into the business and do well, but it would really need to stand out.

What sort of alcohol is it? Hard alcohol, beer?

Steve B
06-20-2011, 02:28 PM
I've spent lots of time in bars, but not on the selling side of it.

Spider
06-20-2011, 02:51 PM
What's the connection between the old company he used to work for and the new liquor brand? If he worked 20 years for LVMH, then I would suppose your uncle knows enough about the business to make a rational decision about this new company. If your uncle's work experience is hospitals or swimming pools or anything unrelated to liquor, I would advise him to find an investment about which he knows something.

Sounds like he could use the advice of a registered financial consultant.

cbscreative
06-21-2011, 11:00 AM
I would have to agree that a micro brew beer has a much greater chance of success than a liquor. At least in MI where I am at, we have a growing number of micro brews. The more successful ones seem to often have a restaurant and brewery combined. As demand rises, you start seeing it in stores.

954SEO
06-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Thank you all. Very excellent advice. I apologize for having been off the forum since Monday :(

vangogh, the creation of a drink for the liquor is a stupendous idea and definitely something to throw around, especially for the brand "launch"... ooooh, i'm excited now! Something tasty with a catchy name and that's simple to make. I'm not exactly "in the loop" as far as the marketing goes so it may have already been brought up, but I'll get to think about it and put my own ideas into the mix. Thank you! (SN: learning to play "Vincent" on the guitar)

tyler, there is actually three liquors as far as I know: a tequila and 2 types of rum. They all come in a rather sexy and "dance-club-like" bottle. I have no idea about the taste.

steve, you and me both buddy lol

Spider, his former position was with a major beverage manufacturer (you've all drank their oj... unless you dont drink oj) and he was basically "in charge" (regional something-or-other) of sales and distribution to the entire carribean. I don't know how related the sale of oj and alcohol are, but I'm sure he does. I'm slowly learning more about his partners, though I'm not sure if any type of financial consultant is in the mix. Thanks for the advice and I'll make an update as I learn more.

cbscreative, I've noticed that too, though there is no restaurant association with this liquor. That would seem like something to get into, especially if the liquor is remotely decent. Maybe offer it to a restaurant with similar branding or someone looking for something different. Any more ideas as far as that goes? That seems like something to definitely look into. Thanks so much.

vangogh
06-24-2011, 11:28 AM
learning to play "Vincent" on the guitar

Great song. It's going to be playing all day in my head now. Fortunately that's not a bad thing. :)