PDA

View Full Version : Small business site need reviews

enjetek
06-17-2011, 01:04 AM
Hi,

I am trying to build a website that caters to smaller business owners that wish to have a presence online. That being the main focus, I felt that an easy system was needed so that their information could be entered for others to view. I have been working on a site named www.eos4u.net (easy online site 4 u). Could you please sign up (with fake data or not) and let me know about what needs to be added, removed, and/or changed? Basically the site worked with making categories, such as Drinks. Under the categories goes the specific items such as Water, Lemonade, Coke, etc etc. This could also be applied to other industries such as garages where you have basic services such as oil changes, air filter replacements, etc etc and the major services could be 15k tune ups etc etc. After you sign up you can pass around a custom link based on your username to your friends/customers in case they want to go to your site quickly. The site is free and I won't do anything with any information I just need some feedback to see if what I have been doing is OK. I am also adding in new functionality but hopefully I won't be breaking things for too long as I am doing them. :)

I can also do custom side work as needed if anyone needs any help. My e-mail address is webmaster@enjetek.com and I can also do more than all the languages listed on that domain. Any feedback to the site can also be sent their since that is my main e-mail address.

Thanks a lot and I hope to see lots of feedback.

Mike

Patrysha
06-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Sorry...with no information beyond what you've provided here and the lack of any copy on the site that indicates what you do or why'd we want to part with our information...though you say it's for nothing...ultimately people will be inputting their information for some reason, I'd assume.

As a marketing consultant I have no idea why I would recommend any of my clients or contacts go with this method of creating an online presence...that's as easy as getting on Facebook and Twitter for many small business owners...larger ones need a bigger presence but not one that I can see being filled by your site.

That's just my opinion of course...

Others may see more value in it...

enjetek
06-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Fair enough. I don't have enough time to respond fully since I have to go to work but once I am done I can come back and do so.

Thanks for your feedback since it still is useful.

KristineS
06-17-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm with Patrysha on this one. Right now the site doesn't give me enough motivation to sign up or to understand how it works or what it could do for my business. I'd say that's the first thing you would need to work on.

enjetek
06-19-2011, 01:56 AM
Ok so lets start with what patrysha commented on.

The first point was about why you or any other person would be interested in parting with any of their information. I did say in my original post that fake data could be used. The sole reason why I was posting this thread was so that I could get feedback on the actual usage of the site. If it were fake data, as I said it could be, then it would serve no purpose for myself since it would be fake.

In regards to the references to twitter or facebook I am not looking for the site to replace the tweet functionality or the quick description of the company that a facebook business account has to offer. The main objective was to create a simple input method for business owners to enter in the products/services that they offer. In addition to that functionality, the site also serves a yellow pages type of functionality in that the businesses will get listed and can be searched based on phone number, key words, address, etc. So based on that capability, I believe more company information is placed online than just a simple tweet or ad but at the same time a web site company does not have to be hired to create a complete site for the business owners that do not have time, the financial resources, or the knowledge to go that route. If you can enter in data then you can create a simple site without having to know any web site building knowledge for both static and dynamic type of sites.

Patrysha
06-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Not sure what you mean about the "quick description Facebook has to offer" - as it does provide for much more than that...as does Twitter if it's used effectively and about a dozen other sites out there today.

And yes, I did understand that the original information you are gathering is dummy data to see if it works, but the intention eventually is to make it real...so it's going to have to compete against what is out there right now which does include thousands of directory sites plus things like review sites like Yelp...

Current directory sites are considered good for the live link if they are actually used directory sites and some minor link juice if they're actually a reputable type site. How are you planning to stand out and make it more valuable to the business owner to bother with the listing? Keeping in mind that what we think of as easy as computer people can take way more time for the average small business owner who is not computer savvy. I've found that things I think should take 5 minutes can take close to half an hour...so simple is relative.

tylerhutchinson
06-20-2011, 01:00 PM
I also agree with the comments. I don't understand the concept of the site and why I would take the time as a busy business owner to add my info to this.

Do you have the ability to use an importing tool? I am seeing this a lot more now where you can sign up with your Facebook information and it will pull all my info automatically and create my profile. This is very helpful and makes me more inclined to join. I am already on every social media outlet and in tons of directories so to add to more doesn't make sense unless it is an industry specific one.