PDA

View Full Version : It's hockey season!

BillR
10-10-2008, 01:33 PM
My company dropped about $800 for me to take some clients out to a hockey game last night - it was the season opener for the San Jose Sharks. They beat Anaheim 3-1.

My nephew actually plays for the Sharks so I have a hookup :D We got VIP passes to go down and meet the players afterwards. I got autographs from several of the players including Jeremy Roenick, Joe Thorton, and my nephew.

Good times!

billbenson
10-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Now that's the fun kind of sales that I miss. I spent most of my career wining and dining customers. It's a nice way to make a living.

I remember one time though, I was in New Orleans and a customer came to the hotel for a drink. I was sick as a dog, but went down to the bar to buy the customer a drink. I had a beer and kept pouring it into the flower planter next to me. I'd act like I was taking a drink. I went to the bathroom every ten minutes to get sick. Wiped my face off and went back out and ordered another beer.

Even the best jobs can be horrible at times. I always wondered what food critics do when they have to eat that one food they hate?

vangogh
10-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm not the hockey fan I used to be, but I still enjoy the game. I saw highlights of the game you went to on ESPN last night.

Are we allowed to ask who your nephew is?

Patrysha
10-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Well it's not national level hockey, I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time this winter in the arena - I just signed the contract to take on the minor hockey team in town on as a client...

It's about as wined and dined as I can expect in this town :-)

vangogh
10-11-2008, 01:47 AM
Which minor league team? I've seen one minor league hockey game in my life. In college we drove an hour to see the Adirondack Red Wings. I'm thinking you can guess which professional franchise they were associated with. I think the team may belong to another franchise now.

The one later famous player I remember seeing in that game was Adam Oates who went on to have a rather nice career in the NHL.

KristineS
10-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Ahh, I fondly remember the days of getting wined and dined by salespeople. Sadly, it doesn't happen much anymore.

BillR
10-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Are we allowed to ask who your nephew is?

I sent you a PM - if anyone wants to know PM me. I prefer not to advertise because it annoys me when people try to ride someone else's laurels (so to speak...).

vangogh
10-12-2008, 02:25 AM
PM received. Thanks Bill.