PDA

View Full Version : looking for shopping cart suggestions

Reflo Ltd
06-12-2011, 11:48 AM
My website now has a cart that is a PHP cart. It is simple to use but requires a lot of manual work on my part.

As we are experiencing higher sales now, I would like a cart that is integrated into some type of software that can track and keep totals separately for sales, shipping, sales tax, etc.

Automated credit card processing would be nice... we use paypal virtual terminal for the processing but have to hand enter everything now.

Maybe even one that has additional features for customer follow up and order processing features like shipping labels and notices that automatically go out that an order has shipped.

Any suggestions from experienced users of such shopping carts?

phanio
06-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Way to advanced for what we need. But, don't think you will find a stand alone program to do what you want. Why not have it built for you - that way you get exactly what you want and how you want it.

billbenson
06-13-2011, 02:53 AM
The easiest solution is to have someone write you a php script that will put your cart data into a form that you can easily download into Quickbooks. You won't find carts that have reports or store the information you are looking for.

jimr451
06-13-2011, 06:41 AM
I've recommended Sunshop (http://www.turnkeywebtools.com/affiliates/pages/133.php?page=2&set=1&link=3) to my clients for years. It has a lot of features that seem to fit what you need.

Plus 95% of the source code is there so you can have someone modify the code if need be.

They have a demo as well. If you are capturing credit cards and hand entering them, you may be violating PCI compliance rules. So getting hooked up to process the cards automatically is a better way to go. That way you aren't storing the card info anywhere, and it's less likely to be stolen.

-Jim

tylerhutchinson
06-13-2011, 06:14 PM
I have helped companies in the past on this and each time we had a web designer that built a script for the shopping cart. That way it was catered to the design of the site itself.

Other then that you can search for plug-ins and try a few out depending on what software you are using to run your site.

KristineS
06-14-2011, 12:10 PM
We use a company called Nexternal (http://www.nexternal.com/). They host everything and it integrates with Paypal. It's worked out well for us, and would probably work even better for you as you have a small amount of products. There are a few quirks, but overall it's been a great solution for us.

Reflo Ltd
06-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Thank you to everyone so far for the input and suggestions.

Georgias Gifts
06-16-2011, 08:23 PM
I use shoppingcartsplus.com for my cart and paypal pro for my merchant services. Hassle free. (only thing is you never see the customers credit card number).

I have my site hosted there also so I'm not completely sure if you can just get the cart added to your site. Check it out.

billbenson
06-16-2011, 10:34 PM
I use shoppingcartsplus.com for my cart and paypal pro for my merchant services. Hassle free. (only thing is you never see the customers credit card number).

I have my site hosted there also so I'm not completely sure if you can just get the cart added to your site. Check it out.

I'd strongly recommend against using site builder sites like this. You have no control, access to your database, or the features that the OP was looking for.

billbenson
06-16-2011, 10:38 PM

I'd strongly recommend against using site builder sites like this. You have no control, access to your database, or the features that the OP was looking for.

Russ in Vancouver
06-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Have you checked out zencart?
My tradeshowbox site in my sig is built off this platform.
I use paypal, but one can use ssl and a merchant account as well if they prefer.
Zen Cart ecommerce (http://www.zen-cart.com/)
Help Forum (http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/index.php)

jasmin
06-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Does your shopping cart offer PCI compliance? Be sure, otherwise you will end up paying a hefty fine. read here (http://www.fms.treas.gov/cas/pci.html).

Generally, it is recommended to go with a reputed e-commerce provider who provides you the back-end. So that you can concentrate on the sales, rather than worry about the technology and hardware to run your shop.

billbenson
06-17-2011, 07:09 PM
I thought I'd repost the OP's question as I haven't seen many replies that actually address his question.

My website now has a cart that is a PHP cart. It is simple to use but requires a lot of manual work on my part.

As we are experiencing higher sales now, I would like a cart that is integrated into some type of software that can track and keep totals separately for sales, shipping, sales tax, etc.

Automated credit card processing would be nice... we use paypal virtual terminal for the processing but have to hand enter everything now.

Maybe even one that has additional features for customer follow up and order processing features like shipping labels and notices that automatically go out that an order has shipped.

AaronConway
06-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Check out Volusion and BigCommerce. I used to use Volusion in a past life and now use BigCommerce. I also use Miva Merchant and can't stand it. I'll take BG over Miva any day. Keep in mind that whenever I recommend these companies I get jumped on by web designers because they are hosted solutions and claims of limited customization. There isn't anything that I haven't been able to do that I needed. I think they're at least worth a look if you're looking for a new cart.

Also, you are violating law by simply gathering credit card info and manually entering it. You should fix that ASAP.

Aaron

billbenson
06-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Also, you are violating law by simply gathering credit card info and manually entering it. You should fix that ASAP.

Aaron
Virtual Terminals are provided for the purpose of hand entering credit card information. Most credit card processors provide that and it is NOT illegal! There is no reason he should change this other than convenience.

MyITGuy
06-26-2011, 01:13 PM

A quick search turns up 3dcart.com which seems to address most of your requests, but it's a hosted service.

If you want to host the site yourself, you can check out X-Cart.com.

I'm not sure what your intentions are with the request of "track and keep totals separately for sales, shipping, sales tax, etc" so I didn't address this option in particular...one you expand on this then we can see if these or other products fit your needs.

Reflo Ltd
06-30-2011, 06:25 AM
Sorry I've been neglecting this thread, I've just been swamped.

Thanks you to everyone for all the advice. I will be checking some of the suggestions out.