PDA

View Full Version : Web Graphics

Aaron Hats
10-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I've created some graphics for our web site and having a problem. They look fine when I create it but when I load it onto our site they lose the crisp look. As an example, look at the "hat size" image on our home page.

Should I save the images as .jpg or .gif? Does that make a difference? I'm not sure what else I could be doing wrong.

Any advice is appreciated.

Aaron

KristineS
10-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey Aaron,

I moved this question to the web site management thread because I thought you might get a better response here.

Just wanted to let you know.

Kristine

cbscreative
10-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Aaron, not sure if this is your problem, but I've had issues like this before. Are you using 72 ppi resolution? I know most advice seems to indicate that this res should be used on all web images, but I don't agree. Try using a higher res and see if it makes a difference. I also noticed that you have these in GIF format. Because the dominating feature is the solid background, I think GIF will work. However, you may want to try 256 color if you've not already done so, but check 128 to see if it still looks good. You may need to experiment with the diffusion and dithering too. I hope this helps resolve the issues.

Aaron Hats
10-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks Steve, I'll give it a shot and report back here on the results.

Jagella
11-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Should I save the images as .jpg or .gif? Does that make a difference? I'm not sure what else I could be doing wrong.

Any advice is appreciated.

Aaron

Aaron, use JPEG for photos and other images with continuous tone. GIF is better for images with solid color. GIF can also be used to create animations.

Jagella

derekanders
11-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Aaron,

I personally would use jpegs or png for the format of your images. They are higher quality and will look better on your site. The files will be bigger in size, but they will look a whole lot better than a gif!

Hope that helps!