PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking a website

Business Attorney
05-27-2011, 02:36 AM
I came across an informative post about a partial redesign of a site. Interestingly, it was not on a blog devoted to design but on the site that was redesigned:

“Our Marketing Is Up Fog Creek” And What We Did About It - Fog Creek Blog (http://blog.fogcreek.com/our-marketing-is-up-fog-creek-and-what-we-did-about-it/)

tylerhutchinson
05-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Interesting post. Thanks for sharing.

MostHeather
05-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks for sharing the story. I think almost everyone has to "rethink" their website from time to time. Heck, even big companies have to mix it up to keep things fresh. Granted, not everyone is always happy about these changes at first, but people get used to it after a while.

websonalized
06-13-2011, 01:32 AM
I! am re-designing my website. First I thought the current design was nice. Now, after learning more and such, I feel I need something different. Oh well...

vangogh
06-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Great article. Thanks for the link David. I think it shows how much more important design is than many people think and perhaps most importantly how the assumptions people make aren't always good assumptions. The truth is you don't know what your visitors think about you and you need to measure what they do in order to improve your site for them.

cfoster
06-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Thank you for sharing. But personally, I find redesigning a web site will entail much complex tasks, that is if you are going to change a big chunk of the site.

Good coding practices will help you lean toward creating a new one from scratch. In my experience, security measures are the hardest one to implement so it would help if you have a separate module to handle this and just import it where it is needed.

You can also have a template style sheet that you can then use in a lot of pages.