PDA

View Full Version : 100 brilliant companies

Ade
05-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Hey guys I thought I would share this with you.

I read some of the stories here and found them very interesting

100 Brilliant Companies 2011 (http://www.entrepreneur.com/100brilliantcompanies/2011)

vangogh
05-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the link. I only recognized a few of the names on the list and oddly enough only because they have iPad apps I've downloaded. The video introducing the 100 companies was interesting. A few things they mentioned being common to these companies.

1. Brilliant companies have brilliant leaders
2. Many are reviving old business models
3. They have sustainable business models
4. They're all passionate about what they do
5. The go more with their gut than what the data on a spreadsheet tells them to do

I think there are some good lessons in the 5 items above.

tylerhutchinson
05-25-2011, 12:54 AM
I haven't heard of many of these either but when I reviewed them I can see why they are on the list. Funny how some of the ideas you just go "that is so simple, why didn't I think of that!" I do think many companies become successful due to their leaders and team that start it up. I think the team is just as important as the founder as the founder has the vision, but the start-up people have the drive and passion to make sure it succeeds.

Thank you for the site.

vangogh
05-25-2011, 01:19 AM
The best ideas always seem so obvious after the fact. Probably what makes them good ideas.

The going with your gut over the data is interesting. Apple is a company that does that. They don't ask questions of focus groups and aren't so much concerned with building what people say or think they want. Apple builds the products they want and invited everyone along for the ride. Seems to be working for them quite well.

There's a style of design decision making called self design. Pretty much what it sounds like. You design for yourself assuming you are an active user of what you're designing. The idea being there will be others like you and in designing for yourself those others like you will be happy with your design. I think the gut thing falls into that self design concept.

greenoak
05-25-2011, 08:47 AM
thanks for the link....they all look interesting and hitting the spot....
i like to take in all the info , especially from customers...then go with my gut...thats the owners role....and really all the data isnt all the reality....it just couldnt be...thats where our judgement and real decision making comes in....