PDA

View Full Version : Are you still buying newspaper ads and how effective do you find them?

bmarcus
05-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Newspaper readership is down to levels not seen since the 1940's while the costs involved in advertising in a local daily or weekly just keep rising. For those of you still tossing money into this pit, do you see a good ROI?

greenoak
05-24-2011, 05:53 PM
we cut back quite a bit....but just did several for our big event this weekend.....i cant judge roi....we do about everythng aimed at the same weekend....
we have cutback a whole lot on newspapers tho....but partly becasue they dont call on us anymore and just want to do it online....easy to ignore...
i never do the long running ones we did for so many years...now its mainly for our events...

tylerhutchinson
05-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Honestly I think it depends on your market. Online marketing is much cheaper and reaches a much larger audience. There are demographics to take into consideration.

I worked a marketing campaign with a company that targeted 65+ females. It made sense in that situation to take ad space in newspapers and other traditional marketing because there is a large volume of women that age that still do subscribe to the local newspaper. So it made sense to put the money into it.

I would also say that it is important to try all different types of marketing for a few weeks. Review where your business is coming from. If you see 30% of your business coming from local newspapers it makes sense to put some money into it. If you see 10% or less then it is probably not worth the money. Make sure you are at a minimum getting your money back in business that it cost to run that media.

Hope that helps and good luck!

greenoak
05-24-2011, 08:21 PM
we mostly aim at young families and women with second homes.....
you are so right tho...its hard to see how the small papers will ever survive.... i get all my news on line or tv.... our local paper is as high as ever and the readership is so low...

tylerhutchinson
05-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Agree, the newspaper industry has dropped a lot over the years. One tip if you do go the newspaper route, make sure you ask if you will be included in their web version of the paper as well. Most people read their local newspapers online. Some Newspapers include all advertisement on it, others you have to ask specifically for or pay extra. If the online aspect is included in the price that may be another incentive to possibly try it out. Especially if the newspaper can be subscribed through tablet PC's and E-books. I know I have newspaper subscriptions through my Nook. I do not believe all newspapers are affiliated with this though. That can draw some extra readership to people on the go.

Blessed
06-03-2011, 12:08 AM
I have a client in one market who always takes out an ad for her event in that market - because it matters and it pays off, she holds the same type of event in a different area of the country as well and never runs an ad in the newspapers there - you have to know your market, know who your newspapers are reaching and be careful in how you spend that money.

I have another client who I just finished a 2-sided "wrap" ad for the daily paper here about their event this weekend. I know they are tracking the ROI on that ad and I'm interested to see what it is.

DLWindsor
07-01-2011, 05:07 PM
I agree with the above, you have to know your target market. Our company resides in a large retirement/tourism community and although TV is big, companies who advertise in newspapers do pretty well out here, since most of the retirement community reads the newspaper. Again know who you are advertising to and if your budget allows maybe think about expanding to the web or TV.

vangogh
07-03-2011, 01:00 PM
you have to know your target market.

That's key. If you don't know your market you could and probably are marketing in the wrong places and the wrong way.