PDA

View Full Version : Mock Pizza Postcard

Russ in Vancouver
05-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Hi all,

I am building a demo of what our Pizzaria campaign could offer to shop owners across USA.

1st step is sending postcards out by direct mail to about 2000-3000 businesses in the area.

Does this look delicious, is it hard to read on the angle?

Thanks in advance

http://www.247leadpros.com/images/pizza2.jpg

vangogh
05-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Mmmm…pizza.

The pizza looks good. I'm not sure I'd go for the jalapenos myself, but toppings will be a personal choice. You might want to go with whatever is most popular where you'll be marketing. I think pepperoni and olives are generally listed as 2 of the most popular toppings, though it's likely different in different areas.

I don't think anything is hard to read. Looks pretty standard to some postcards I might get for pizza. In fact at a quick glance it reminded me of some I've gotten in the mail, either Pizza Hut of Blackjacks. Blackjacks started in Colorado and probably hasn't expanded too far beyond yet in case you haven't heard of it.

One thing I'd probably do is place your branding on the back instead of the front. I realize you want the cards to help your brand as well, but I think I'd reserve the front for the pizza to make it more appealing to the businesses. Save your branding for the back. At least that's what I would do.

Russ in Vancouver
05-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi vangoh,

Thank for your reply, wow, Im glad you think it looks up to standard :)
For sure and good advice, they back will have the weekly specials and business contact info, I'm sure there will be a little room for my plug hehe.
I like pepperoni as well....

KristineS
05-12-2011, 05:27 PM
For some reason I don't find that picture of the pizza appealing. I've been trying to figure out why and I'm not sure I can. I'm not a jalapeno fan, so maybe that's it. Maybe it's the drippy cheese. For some reason it just doesn't look enticing to me. It's just kind of a visceral reaction and I can't quite pin down what makes it not attractive. I love pizza and I'm a fan of melted cheese, so it's not that it's a food I don't like.

As for the rest of it, it does look like a standard pizza post card. I'm not sure that pizza-licking-good is a slogan I would use, as people don't generally lick pizza and it kind of has a different connotation than finger licking good, which I'm assume it is a play on.

vangogh
05-12-2011, 07:23 PM
And the drippy cheese is making my mouth water even as I type. Mmm…pizza.

Russel it definitely looks up to standard. If that postcard arrived in my mail I'd think it was from any of a number if pizza places that send them. Having said that I'm not crazy about the fonts being used. I just took a look at some of the card I have here and they generally use fonts that aren't trying so hard. What you're using works for the company name, but I think I would choose something else for the rest of the text. It could and probably should still be big and blocky, but maybe something with more right angles. I also like the current font in the phone number and if you left it as is, I don't think there's really a problem. It was just a thought that popped to mind.

Spider
05-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Those are the comments from people that like pizza. Just how much would THIS postcard influence them to order a pizza from THIS establishment as opposed to wetting their appetite so they order a pizza right now - from their favorite pizza parlor? And would it entice someone who doesn't normally buy pizza? These are more the questions the advertiser would want answered, I think.

Now, I like pizza. I once took a 3-day journey on the Orient Express to get a pizza in Venice, Italy. And it was a very fine pizza, indeed. (A calzone, actually.) But I have to confess, the pizzas available to me where I live now (Houston, Tx) do not deserve to be called pizza, and your pizza postcard would merely remind me of a wonderful train ride. At best, it would induce me to call the one local pizza place that manages to make less of a travesty than any others around here.

All that to say, I would suspect your pizza card might increase the business of the competition as much as increasing the sales of the advertising business.

The closeup is good, being the last thing one sees before actually taking a bite. It is certainly a mouthwatering picture, but I'm afraid it falls into the "Too good to be true" category.

vangogh
05-12-2011, 09:39 PM
ust how much would THIS postcard influence them to order a pizza from THIS establishment as opposed to wetting their appetite so they order a pizza right now - from their favorite pizza parlor?

It wouldn't influence me at all. There are 2 pizza places I like here in town. It doesn't make a difference who else sends me a postcard since it'll get thrown out immediately. If either of the 2 places I like sends me a card it does remind me to order from them again, especially if the card contains coupons. Though, they generally don't ever get me to order more often. I save the cards with coupons from the places I like and toss the rest.

I highly doubt the card would do any more to increase the business of competing pizza parlors though. If someone sees your postcard and orders from another place then they weren't going to order from you regardless.

Patrysha
05-12-2011, 09:55 PM
But what about those who don't have a real favourite and only go with the regular place because it's convenient...we're in that situation. Pizza is our Friday night staple...we order out every four to six weeks and it always ends up being from the same place because we've never actually gotten around to picking up menus from the other places...

Russ in Vancouver
05-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the good points, that really makes sense because I feel the same way. I have been loyal to pizzahut for many years now, even when they give me a below average pizza, I still go with them, why???? I think it is most likely that I have never found a different pizza that compares with how much I enjoy a good standard pan crust pizza from pizzahut and I don't really care to explore the many options available in my area because I will probably face double disapointment with the newly tried pizza than I will with a below par pizza from pizzahut. Is this similar to your predicament Patrysha?

Is there any way to convince people like us to try something new? Price won't budge me considering that pizzahut is probably the most expensive pizza out there unless you were sitting in a decent restaurant.

Convenience?

A referral?

A really fantastic offer? What could be a really fantastic offer for a pizzaria trying to beat the dough out of their competitors?

Suggestions on a really fantastic offer to good to pass up are welcome >>

1.) Maybe a pizzaria could cooperate with a non competitor business in the same area that gets high traffic. Basically demo their pizza at the busy location a few times a week for a few months, handing out free mini slices and menus with special coupons. Thoughts....

Revised pepperoni pizza
http://www.247leadpros.com/images/pepperonipizza.jpg

Patrysha
05-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Honestly, any pizza restaurant that would put up their menu online (other than the franchise we already order from) would probably get our business at least once...
Whether they got the return call would depend on the taste and price...I hate spending more than $10/pp for pizza including delivery cost and tip...

vangogh
05-12-2011, 11:50 PM
I think for most people who don't have a favorite place price is going to be the big factor in getting them to try. A good coupon deal, whether for money off or including other things like breadsticks or soda will likely be most effective. One nice thing PizzaHut has is you can order online. I'm not really a fan of their pizza, but sometimes I'll order online since it's so easy.

KristineS
05-13-2011, 01:00 PM
I like this picture better, which is weird, because I haven't had a pepperoni pizza in forever.

Russ in Vancouver
05-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys!! Hope you are all enjoying the weekend.

Tri-Win
05-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Im distracted by the logo over the pizza photo I would use full opacity on the white transparency and make it black to complement the background of the 2nd posted photo. put your branding, offer, delivery & Carryout statements there. Keep the slogan above the line. Basically let the photo to the job and sell the product. I prefer the 1st photo over the second because its more colorful and has a greater range of light and dark values so i might want the triangle white if you used the 1st photo.

As for a way to get me to try a new pizza I would want to get a good discount, and be able to order online, but for me the key would be marketing toward quality. When Dominoes came out with its new campaign last year I tried them because they were saying they changed their old pizza recipe to make everything better, I prefer Dominoes now over Pizza Hut.

With all that said if your pizza place starts to deliver to Plano, TX let me know and Ill buy a pie or two:cool: