PDA

View Full Version : Business Photos For Google Places

vangogh
05-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Yesterday Google announced something that should interest anyone with a physical store. It's called Business Photos and it works with your Google Places listing.

It's technically not new, but something Google is formalizing a little more. Basically you apply to have Google come to your business and take pictures of the inside of your store, which can then be seen on your Places page.

The only hitch at the moment is that Google is only doing so in select cities. However even if you aren't in one of those select cities you should apply, because Google will determine what cities to visit next based on how many people apply.

Here's a link to Google's Business Photos (http://maps.google.com/help/maps/businessphotos/) page. Check the video on the page. It's a 2 minute animation, but it does a good job explain why you would want to have pics taken of your business.

You can see what the photos will look like on a Places Page (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&q=oh+nuts+new+york&fb=1&gl=us&hq=oh+nuts&hnear=New+York,+NY&cid=18095425674723472268&ei=MuTCTc20NO7ViAKB15GMAw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=placepage-link). Check the photos and videos section.

Here's a bit more about Business Photos from Search Engine Land (http://searchengineland.com/google-announces-local-business-photos-75954).

Seems like something you should definitely apply for if you have a brick and mortar store.

greenoak
05-07-2011, 07:43 AM
thanks vg...my city is so teeny....

websonalized
05-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Wow, and in some cities Google even sends the phtographers to your shop... hands on

vangogh
05-08-2011, 01:15 AM
Ann I think it would still be worth it for you to apply. Google will keep expanding the program and sooner or later they'll make it to your city. They'd possibly consider you part of one the larger nearby cities too. This seems like a pretty good fit for your business. I was actually thinking of you when I learned about it and when I started this thread.

Spider
05-08-2011, 11:09 AM
How often can (will?) the pictures be changed. Someone like Ann would want the Google camera truck to pass their way about once a week, no?

Likewise for others who photos will be their merchandise. A beauty salon, a jewelers, indeed most shops, offices and factories will want to display their premises, which don't change much. But there will be some businesses whose premises are just a large - and not particularly nice-looking - shed! I'm thinking a dog kennels always looks bad - rows and rows of cages - but it's the happy dogs and smiling attendants that sell the company.

But Ann wants pictures (I imagine) of things that won't be there for very long.

vangogh
05-08-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't think the point is to continue showing the latest products for sale. It's simply to give potential customers an idea of what the store might look like. I think it's more to give a general impression of the store that you can't otherwise see on a Places page.

Did you watch the animated video? I think it gives a good idea why you would want your pictures displayed.

Spider
05-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Problem solved. Business owners can upload their own photos.

vangogh
05-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Sure, but this is a way to have professional photographers come in and take picture for free. Is there a downside to applying that I'm missing? This seems like such a no-brainer. Spend 10 seconds filling out a form to have Google take pictures of your place. Is there some reason you think people shouldn't do this? That seems to be what you're implying. (My bad if I'm reading more into what you're saying than what's there, but that's how it's coming across to me.)

Again what's the downside here?

Spider
05-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Yes, there will be some businesses that cannot be shown well in photographs. I don't know Anne's premises but there are some businesses around Houston that I imagine do much of what Anne does. And they are rather scruffy, industrial metal buildings, rusty in places, not seen a coact of paint in decades. The attraction is to the bargain hunter, the "chic" re-user, countryfied urbanite, who want that contrasting beat-up kitchen dresser to hold their expensive Blueray TV. The appeal is the merchandise, the aura, the atmosphere, the feel of "picking" - not the premises. But that, I suggest would come over poorly in a photograph in G-Places.

There is a country and western dancehall/bar not far from where I live, that looks appalling in daylight - like a rusty, falling-down barn - but at night it has a tremendous country charm that draws the people in. Can't see that being very appealing on G-Places.

vangogh
05-08-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying since some businesses may not look good being photographed no one should apply? For someone who claims positive thinking is important you sure seem to be focusing only on the negatives here.

It's really simple. If you have a business with a physical location being able to show pictures of it on your Google Places page will probably be a good idea. Maybe there are some exceptions, but most will likely benefit. Google is offering to take professional photographs for free if you're willing to fill out a relatively painless form. Professional photographers can usually take pretty good pictures of any subject so even if you think your business isn't photogenic there's a strong possibility some good photos will be produced. If after the pictures are taken you decide you don't like them you can replace them with pictures of your own.

Spider
05-08-2011, 09:11 PM
You asked me what the downside was. I tried to answer you. For my part, I have already noted that one can upload one's own photos if the constantly changing inventory is what one wishes to show. I'm not going to have Google come to my office and take a photo so I really don't have a ball in this game.

vangogh
05-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Your downside makes no sense since:

1. You don't have to use the pictures.
2. If a picture of your store is going to turn people off then the real thing is going to as well so you wouldn't be losing any customers
3. In one example you suggested the place would only look good at night. Where did you see it say Google will only visit during the day?

I'm not going to have Google come to my office and take a photo so I really don't have a ball in this game.

And yet you sure seem to be spending a lot of time in this thread.

nealrm
05-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Interesting concept. I wonder how Google will make money off of this and how good the photos will be. To counter Spider's point, a good photographer can make most structures look decent. All it takes is selecting the right angles, lighting and framing.

vangogh
05-11-2011, 01:34 PM
I think Google simply wants more people using Google Places. It also fits with their mission of organizing the world's information. They send out cars to take pictures of the world as it is, without it directly pulling in revenue. The more people using Google products the more money they make through advertising on those products. Picture will likely make Places more attractive to searchers, keeping them on Google's site longer leading to more advertising dollars.

a good photographer can make most structures look decent.

I agree, which is why I think this is a pretty good deal for business owners all for the time it takes to fill out a form.

nealrm
05-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Do you think they will eventually start charging for the photos? If so, how much do you think a business would pay?

vangogh
05-13-2011, 10:47 PM
I doubt it. Google's business model is all about advertising. They give things away to get more eyeballs on their properties. I think this is all about making Google Places a better experience for both businesses and searches. That leads to more Places pages and more page views on those pages and more advertising dollars.

SEO In Leeds
05-23-2011, 09:14 PM
No harm in accepting the freebies but always take advantage of the fact you can add up to 10 so make the most of these to showcase yourself and remember to add videos too. If you add the photos to Panoramio too it should give you extra links