PDA

View Full Version : Help with Wordpress please

jamesray50
04-23-2011, 02:05 AM
I have a blog page in my website in wordpress. I set up categories and went to each blog I had written and marked what category that blog fell into. Then I went to widgets and moved it to the sidebar so that it would show up on my blog page.

What I want is for the categories with the number of blogs for each category to be on my blog page only. But, what happened is that it is on the other pages, not my blog page. How do I fix this?

Thank you

vangogh
04-23-2011, 03:46 AM
When you added the widget how many different areas on the right are there to add it to?

Looking at your site I can see the pages and posts have different things included in the sidebar. That can be set up either through different dynamic sidebars (the places where you drag the widgets) or it could be coded directly into theme files. I'd need to be able to login to your site as well as connect through FTP to know.

The good news is either way it should be a relatively easy fix. The possible bad news is if it is how the theme is coded you'll probably need the help of someone who works with WordPres.

If you have more than one place to drag the widgets then you'll just need to find the one for the blog. If you only have the one area to drag widgets too then someone likely needs to take a look directly at the theme files.

jamesray50
04-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Your explanation is confusing me. I was on the widget page and dragged the category widget to the sidebar. I only saw one place where it would let me add it. I found where the theme files are, but am not going to mess with any of them, don't know what I am doing. Can I add my blog to more than one category?

vangogh
04-23-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm confused now by what you're asking. If I'm understanding right the problem is you want to show your categories in the sidebar, but only when someone is visiting some part of your blog and not the pages outside of the blog. Is that right?

If so you would drag the category widget to the sidebar, which you've done. It sounds like when you did that the categories showed up on your pages outside the blog, but not inside the blog itself. Is that right?

Without being able to login to either your WordPress admin or your server via FTP I can only guess why the above is happening, but based on experience I'm thinking the problem is in how the theme itself was coded. Some themes have code multiple sidebars you can drag widgets to. A theme could let you drag widgets into a sidebar that shows up only on your blog or only on pages not in the blog. It could even be coded to let you drag widgets into your footer or header or on one page only.

It sounds like you only have one place to where you can add widgets. If that's the case then the fix is going to require changing the code in the theme files. I wasn't expecting you would do that on your own. I assume it's something you would contact a WordPress developer to do. If on the other hand there are two or more places where you can drag widgets (they might be called something other than sidebar, but they would be located in the same place in the WordPress admin) then you might just need to drag the category widget into one of those other areas and see if it shows up where you want.

There's no single way WordPress handles adding widgets to a theme. It depends on how the theme was coded, which is why I can't give you an exact solution without being able to login.

Harold Mansfield
04-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Your terminology is kind of confusing. An entire website is called a blog, or you can have a blogging section. I think what you are talking about is your individual "posts" or articles.
You can put them in as many categories as you see fit.

Your theme has 2 places for widgets... along side your pages, and along side your blog posts.
If you want a certain widget to show up in the sidebar widget of your blog posts, then you would put it in your "post sidebar" ( that's how it is labeled on your theme).
That's really it.

jamesray50
04-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Thank you Harold, I got it.

vangogh
04-23-2011, 05:27 PM
So you did have multiple sidebars then.

jamesray50
04-23-2011, 06:01 PM
I did, one says Post Sidebar and the other says Page Sidebar. I just never considered putting it in the Post sidebar, but now it makes sense, espencially when I write a new blog I create a new Post and not a Page. I guess I just wasn't thinking it through. Thanks for your help.