PDA

View Full Version : one cell phone two numbers to it.

mr.ro
10-07-2008, 12:34 PM
so as me and some of my friends were hanging out we got into a conversation about what the world needs as the next great invention, and I thought of this idea that by now cell phones should be able to have different numbers to them for people with businesses and stuff in that nature.

well about a week later I ran into this company vumber at Vumber - Home of the virtual phone number. (http://www.vumber.com) and they offer the service I thought was not invented (my lose) but anyways I was thinking about signing up for their service. I was just wondering if anyone here had any knowledge on this company or their service and what not. or at least what you think about it. would it be worth it to have this along with my cell so I can use one number for friends/then business number for clients.

KristineS
10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't know anything about this service, but don't a lot of phone plans give you the option to forward the another number to your cell phone? Wouldn't that work just as well and be cheaper?

mr.ro
10-07-2008, 12:43 PM
well as far as I know my cell phone company doesnt have that option. that would be a cheaper route though if they did have that I would imagine.

orion_joel
10-07-2008, 08:09 PM
There are many ways this can be done and really is nothing new. As Kristine mentioned there is the option to forward another number. Also with the number of phones that are getting the ability to use almost broadband quality internet access, there is large potential to use skype, plus other VOIP providers.

I cannot be sure of the availability anymore and maybe it was a one off dud phone but i am sure that i did once see a phone that provided for two sim cards. I don't think that this is anything new and really if you have the right phone and phone plan something that you should be able to do for very little money.

Richard
10-08-2008, 05:22 AM
Hi,

I work at Vumber. We came across this post and I thought I'd use the opportunity to tell you a little more about using Vumber to separate your business and personal numbers.

You can try Vumber free for 30 days (no contracts, no obligations)
we don’t charge by the minute – it’s a flat rate. This is important to anyone who uses Vumber for business - it means there are no surprises at the end of the month
You can choose any US area code, especially helpful to business users who want to project a local identity
We are not a call forwarding service – you can make and receive calls with a Vumber
You can listen to voicemails, set up speed dial contacts and change your Vumber settings online or on your phone.

To Joel’s point – there are a number of people who do variations on this theme, from Vonage to Skype. We feel that where Vumber is different is that we provide a true virtual phone number.

It allows you to make and receive calls from your phone - no internet connection required, we don’t charge by the minute and we have really focused on simplicity – you can get a second or third or fourth phone number instantly.

I hope this gives you more information – if there is anything else you’d like to ask please let me know at richard@vumber.com

mr.ro
10-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Well what is this directed spam. Anyways I didn't know companies were hunting for post by people interested in their service that's kinda scary. I read all that info on the site I just wanted to here from people who may have used this service.

orion_joel
10-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Maybe not hunting directly for posts, however the link in your initial post would show this thread as the originating source for whoever clicked on it here. So it would show up as a referrer in the site stats.

mr.ro
10-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Oh okay I figured they found it some way still a little crazy seeing as how they can find a post and register and all that just to tell me what I read on their site.

orion_joel
10-14-2008, 02:24 AM
Some people have just a little to much time on their hands. Plus especially if they are a new business then they would be looking to try and get as much discussion about their business happening, and in reality even though we are not really discussing them, there is a link to them in the thread which keeps getting moved back up.

billbenson
10-16-2008, 05:01 AM
I didn't go to the link, but I don't see a short sales pitch describing a product by a rep for someone who initiated it earlier in the thread as spam. Could be or may not be, didn't look at it hard enough.

As to the original subject, my wife uses two cell phones on a family plan to screen calls. I'm not aware of a phone that accepts two numbers. You would want a different ring or something for the different number.

Interesting thing. I contracted with the cell company in July several years ago. I added my wife in in Dec when her other cell companies phone contract ran out. We only contract for one year, never two. This allows us to get the sign a new contract and get a new phone at a discount every year not every two years. The thing is, because her phone and my phone are offset by 6 months, every 6 months we can get a new phone. Do that once and you have a phone in reserve eliminating the need for insurance. We are on a family plan, so we don't pay for service on the extra phones.