PDA

View Full Version : Blogging etiquette

jamesray50
04-20-2011, 03:55 AM
Is there such a thing as blogging etiquette? For example, I have signed up for blogs from other people in my industry and I read them and comment on them. They read my blogs and I have received a few comments, not many, but a few. But, I have written a couple that have been mentioned in other blogs as a must read. And some have been retweeted.

So, when someone puts a link to my blog in their blog or retweets my blog, what should I do to recipricate? So far, I haven't done anything and I don't want anyone to think I don't appreciate what they have done.

Thanks,

vangogh
04-20-2011, 10:56 AM
There is blogging etiquette, though I think it's more about showing respect for other bloggers, particularly when you mention them or comment on their blog. Not that you have to agree with what they say, but you should still be respectful as you would any other person.

You don't have to do anything just because someone links to you or tweets your content. I don't think there's any etiquette that says you must. However, if someone links to your or mentions you it might be an opportunity to network. With the tweets you can simply say thanks for the tweet in an @message to the person. That works until you have a lot of people tweeting and retweeting your content.

When someone links to you check out their site. If it's someone in your industry it makes sense to subscribe to their blog. If you simply like their content it makes sense to subscribe to them. You can leave a comment on their post mentioning you saying thanks for the link or the mention. You can then use their posts to help generate ideas. You can write a follow-up to something they write. Ultimately if you link to them or comment on their blog it becomes a possible opening to network with that person.

By the way the same way you feel like you should reciprocate others feel too. Sometimes if you link out to other sites those sites will notice and later link back to you.

Again you're not obligated to do anything, but if you appreciate what someone else has done it makes sense to let them know you appreciate them in some way. That could be a link back or a comment thanking them. Either way it can lead to an opportunity to network with someone.

jamesray50
04-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks a lot, that answers my question.

KristineS
04-20-2011, 12:22 PM
I'd second what Vangogh says. If I'm on Twitter and someone retweets a tweet of mine, or mentions something I wrote, I always try and say thank you. I don't necessarily respond to or thank people for every comment on a blog post, but I will drop them an e-mail or say thank you in a comment if they mention me on their blog. It's just the polite thing to do, and it's also a great way to help build community.

SEO In Leeds
05-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Something you can do as a thank you to them is to leave comments for them and bookmark the page with your comment and link on it - then you get an extra linkback to your site and they get a bookmark for free :)

vangogh
05-24-2011, 11:33 AM
That works as long as the comment is meant to be a helpful one. I wouldn't just leave a "great post" as a the comment. Not that should never tell someone you like their post, but I think more bloggers are getting savvy to the idea that those quick posts are being done for seo. I know I delete many of them from my blog. I also get rid of any comment where the name field has been clearly optimized. You can use a real name and username or your site name, but if you insert a keyword phrase your comment will be gone at best and you'll be reported as a spammer.

Paper Shredder Clay
05-27-2011, 11:11 AM
I don't think you have to reciprocate every time. I don't retweet or respond every time someone mentions me. Likewise I don't expect them to do the same for me. If you see them commenting a lot, are they leaving a good response or just trying to get a link back to their site. If they always leave a good, quality response then occasionally go to their site and leave a thoughtful response or reply back to their comment in your blog.

vangogh
05-27-2011, 12:15 PM
You certainly don't have to reciprocate every time, though it is a psychological principle that we all tend to feel obligated to return favors. We're all more likely to do for someone who's done for us.

C0ldf1re
05-29-2011, 02:30 PM
... You don't have to do anything just because someone links to you or tweets your content...

Obviously, you have to keep up the quality of your blog. You do not want to link out unless it is to quality content, good enough to deserve a link whether or not they had done anything for you.