PDA

View Full Version : I'm doing something unusual and I want you to be a part of it!

Open Minded
04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
I’m doing a rare and unusual post today. I'm pretty new here, and I recently decided to check in to be nosy. I see a lot people are still having a hard time growing their business or want to grow more. So I decided to do something unusual.

This week I will answer questions about growing your business. I’m a marketing coach, and I specialize in Internal marketing. I’m not going to explain exactly what it is right now, but my short definition is strategies you use inside your business to persuade, motivate and get your customers to buy more often.

So if you need help on getting more conversions, and getting customers to buy more often then ask away. Please be specific when you ask questions, because vague questions really doesn’t help me that much.

I do understand how to get traffic, but I don’t specialize in that area. I can only answer a few questions about traffic, but that’s about it. Let’s make this a peaceful and valuable thread.

Dan Furman
04-18-2011, 02:37 PM
I’m doing a rare and unusual post today. I'm pretty new here, and I recently decided to check in to be nosy. I see a lot people are still having a hard time growing their business or want to grow more. So I decided to do something unusual.

This week I will answer questions about growing your business. I’m a marketing coach, and I specialize in Internal marketing. I’m not going to explain exactly what it is right now, but my short definition is strategies you use inside your business to persuade, motivate and get your customers to buy more often.

So if you need help on getting more conversions, and getting customers to buy more often then ask away. Please be specific when you ask questions, because vague questions really doesn’t help me that much.

I do understand how to get traffic, but I don’t specialize in that area. I can only answer a few questions about traffic, but that’s about it. Let’s make this a peaceful and valuable thread.

???

This is what we all do here. It's not that unusual.

Steve B
04-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Yes, let us know if we can help you. We also like specific questions.

Open Minded
04-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Let’s make this a peaceful and valuable thread guys. Only post if you have a specific question to ask me that's all. I search this site, and I haven't seen a thread like this.. I'm only reaching out to the people that want grow their business.. There are tons of people here that are struggling, so if that's you then ask away. Thank you..

Patrysha
04-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Uh...if you've read other threads in this forum, you'd know that's not really how things are done here. None of us has a thread of our own created for the sole purpose of showcasing our own expertise.

cbscreative
04-18-2011, 09:01 PM
When you are setting out to Break The Rules, using audio on your site that plays automatically is a good start. It's high on the list of things most people hate online, so doing it anyway is a good way to show complete disregard for rules.

We don't have any rules here against claiming to be a marketing expert and using hype instead of proven methods, but you'll find this community doesn't respond well to buzz words that sound like the Internet scams that litter the web. I suggest you spend a lot more time reading before you do break our rules. You've already "broken rules" of common netiquette, but maybe that's just consistent with your approach to doing things.

I must have missed something with "struggling" members here. If someone has questions, I see them getting helpful answers.

billbenson
04-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Not to mention the audio sounds like Elmer Fudd "pwofit gwabber -> profit grabber"

If your going to use audo, make it sound professional.

Open Minded
04-19-2011, 06:52 AM
I don't know why people here are being nasty.. I'm just trying to help the people that are struggling. If you are close minded then fine, but don't mess it up for everyone else. I didn't know about the audio thing so I will change my sig... That's fine with me. And by the way if you make over 800k you don't have to sound professional.. Again, please post if you have specific questions.

When I started out it was so hard for me, so I'm just giving back. I wish I had this when I was starting my business.. If you can't understand that then fine. It's no skin off of my back..

Steve B
04-19-2011, 07:12 AM
I knew there was an income amount that allowed people to not sound professional, but I forgot what it was. Is that the minimum amount, or is it O.K. to sound unprofessional at 600k also? Just curious where the line is.

greenoak
04-19-2011, 07:13 AM
i like different and outside the box ideas.....why dont you post some? why would we believe anything about how great you are? better, why not throw out some great idea and see how all the forum responds ? it might help you improve your marketing....
i have a business and get offers of help from the smartest /best/ etc etc ALL THE TIME...its not impressive...

Spider
04-19-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm sad to see everyone getting down on this guy. What's the point? If he doesn't impress you, let it go. Maybe he impresses someone else and can help them.

There isn't a single person on this forum that's so good at marketing they cannot improve, and no-one knows whether this person knows something they don't. He might only know one thing about marketing, but if that is the only thing you don't know, he could be your goldmine.

Patrysha
04-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Sorry to disappoint, Frederick but, it's a tale as old as time "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care"...coming in to a new to you forum that's oozing with expertise, claiming there's a new way and dropping a link to a site that gives of the "I learned this last week" vibe is naturally inviting questions and demands of proof.

Simply stating that you "break the rules" doesn't negate the need to follow the standard patterns of communication and relationship building. Those who do have the balls to do so are expected to have the proof to back it up. As they say in writing "You can't start breaking the rules until you know the rules (inside-out, backwards and in your sleep) or you'll never rise above hack."

So...when a self-professed marketer breaks marketing rule number one "Know your audience" and is called on it (which is going to happen when you decide to do so in an active forum that includes marketers and advertisers! No psychics required to predict that one) then it's time to deliver up the proof that impresses. Until then it's just hot air. That's not nasty, that's just life.

greenoak
04-19-2011, 09:54 AM
i would love it if he stays and shares something i could use....really i am trying to grow my business and could use a good marketing tip....maybe his approach was just a little off... .
ok.HERES MY QUESTION..and i could use the help.......if we havent chased him of by now...i have a big store with employees and 10,000 sq ft and a big overhead......whats a good way to market locally on the internet...besides whats already been posted on here? thats my big question right now.... thanks...its a real question...and im working to make it better and better all the time..on my facebook, 1400 likes...and my website.. thanks.
ann
Green Oak Antiques--One of Indiana's Largest Independent Antique Stores (http://www.greenoakantiques.com)

Spider
04-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Like I said, Patrysha - If he doesn't impress you, let it go.

The trouble with calling people on their claims is, it does nothing for the intended recipient and can only adversely affects oneself. Starting out by criticising leads one down a negative path that takes energy to reverse - energy that could have been used to lift oneself up.

Good post, Ann.

Harold Mansfield
04-19-2011, 11:30 AM
I don't know why people here are being nasty.. I'm just trying to help the people that are struggling. If you are close minded then fine, but don't mess it up for everyone else. I didn't know about the audio thing so I will change my sig... That's fine with me. And by the way if you make over 800k you don't have to sound professional.. Again, please post if you have specific questions.

When I started out it was so hard for me, so I'm just giving back. I wish I had this when I was starting my business.. If you can't understand that then fine. It's no skin off of my back..

I don't think anyone is being nasty...just humorously sarcastic, as if no one has ever posted something simular in the past. It's actually very common for marketers and spammers to announce "I'm great at this. Post your questions" as if they are doing something original to draw attention to themselves.

All input is welcome and we are all here to help each other.
But there is really no need to announce "I am here to help you with this. Post your questions", since that is what we all do here, all of the time.

It just kind of comes off as self promotional as if you are trying to say that you are the go to guy of the forum.
Most decent forums take offense to that kind of self promotion.

I would expect to see that over on DP, but not here.

greenoak
04-19-2011, 01:00 PM
spider i love your view of the world...its so nice.....you are like a good coach in my head sometimes....

when really my natural leaning is more like if you have something bad to say sit next to me....i think alice roosevelt said that.... i just cant help it....i always apppreciate and enjoy naughty biting comments, if they aRENT TOO BAD.... ....if not aimed at me of course!!!
i do have sympathy tho...as i have tried to offer myself up to all the marketers on here and hardly anyone has shown any interest. i figure im the type of business lots on here might be trying to market to...i have a big marketing budget...i could be the guinea pig.....i get a lot of good advice and feedback from here and would gladly pay back the same.....
...... .. . i always want to learn and see other views , especially from folks who might think like my customers.or even better wheni can talk to a target custmer...i always try to pick their brain and see whats important to them.... ....its interesting and i often come away with some insight that helps our business......but on here nobody ever takes me up on it... i guess they are super sure of themselves and dont need any more views of the world.....

cbscreative
04-19-2011, 01:28 PM
I agree with Harold, no one is being nasty, this forum is consistently respectful of all the members. We are being direct, even humorously sarcastic. If Open Minded is truly here to learn, then he's just been given a valuable lesson. Otherwise, the approach is very much like all the other self proclaimed experts pretending they have a magic pill. If he tried that on other forums, some really would be nasty. The treatment here has been very kind.

Let's see how he deals with Ann's question. We really do welcome the input even if we don't agree. Personally, I learn a lot from people I don't agree with.

Dan Furman
04-19-2011, 02:40 PM

Herer's your problem: You need to build a little rep around here before you start acting like Buddha on the Mountain. That means, you know, adding to the discussion and being seen as valuable by members.

You've proven exactly nothing, and you obviously don't understand how this forum works. If that's nasty, then so be it.