PDA

View Full Version : Food Truck Business

jamesray50
04-14-2011, 12:47 AM
Does anyone on this forum have a food truck business? I've been watching this show where contestants are competing for their own food truck business. It got me to wondering if there were any food trucks in my town, Lexington, KY. I googled it and so far can't find where there are any. Louisville, KY doesn't allow them.

I guess different cities have codes and ordinances for the food trucks, and the health department also has their rules. But, it does seem like an interesting business to get into.

Patrysha
04-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Not myself...but my fil often talked about getting a chip wagon when he retired, but he must've forgotten or changed his mind. I did know the woman who owned a lunch & snack truck in town...the challenge here was supply partnerships.

Business Attorney
04-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Jo Ellen, you're right that different cities have different rules. I had a client that had put a down payment on a couple of trucks and was looking into using the trucks in a couple of suburban locations. It didn't work out for him because the people in most suburban locations are too spread out to provide the level of business a truck would need to be profitable.

The City of Chicago has food trucks but at the present time no preparation can be done on the truck. And "preparation" is defined so broadly that basically the people on the truck can't do anything other than hand the food out and collect money. They can't even cut a sandwich in half for you. The trucks are really just delivery vehicles. So it works for things like pre-made sandwiches, pizza and cupcakes but not for food that doesn't keep well. There have been proposals to change the rules but so far that hasn't happened. The existing restaurants who have fixed locations that generate real estate taxes for the city are vocal opponents because they believe that trucks are unfair competition.

Here is a CNN video (http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/04/08/chicago-food-trucks-hitting-a-roadblock/) on the subject from just a week ago.

Dan Furman
04-14-2011, 01:40 PM
when I worked construction years back, we LOVED the food truck that came twice a day.

Of course, then a hot dog wagon started coming too, and cut the original guy's business in half.

Tough business / small margins.

Harold Mansfield
04-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Wasn't there a guy that came through here that had a website/blog about the food truck industry? I think he was out of Chicago.

JillS22
04-14-2011, 02:30 PM
You should check out Eat Street's database( and their app if you've got an iPhone). So far nothing for Lexington because of the city laws, but Louisville does have a couple!
Browse Carts - Eat St. - Food Network Canada (http://eatst.foodnetwork.ca/vendors)

Steve B
04-14-2011, 08:08 PM
What a shame they don't allow them in so many places. We got some great food off the trucks outside of Temple Univ. in Philly. Unbelievable choices, great quality, and great prices.

tylerhutchinson
05-20-2011, 11:05 PM
For health and safety reasons most cities outlaw or have strict regulations on them. Also, unless you have multiple trucks running you will see no major profit. I know a company in my area who has about 20 trucks. They get a ton of business but their net profit is very minimal for the work and time they put in.

huggytree
05-21-2011, 05:27 PM
they call it the Roach Coach around here

they show up on large job sites around lunch

when i worked on a Marriot Hotel they would show up....other than at a carnival ive never eaten at one

I think Hank Hill had a episode about one

Harold Mansfield
05-21-2011, 06:20 PM
They are pretty much a staple around here. Especially back during the construction boom. I've also seen a few gourmet ones around the arts district and at ethnic festivals.
Mobile food has a long American tradition..from Hot Dog vendors, and Italian Ice carts on the east coast, Bikini Dog Girls in S. Florida, Pretzel Carts on the boardwalk, and now Food trucks have gone gourmet.

There's even an app for that. A food truck vendor finder for your iPhone:
Food Truck Finder Rolls Into the App Store on The Food Channel® (http://www.foodchannel.com/articles/article/food-truck-finder-rolls-app-store/)