PDA

View Full Version : Marketing letter

jamesray50
04-07-2011, 01:33 AM
I am thinking about sending out letters about my bookkeeping business. I have read here and in another forum that people really don't see much in the way of new business from them, but I still am thinking about trying it.

I am going to target small CPA or accounting firms that do not have bookkeepers on staff and do not use QuickBooks. The majority of small businesses uses QuickBooks so I figure if an accounting firm gets a client with a QuickBooks file, they can call me to get it ready for them to do taxes or whatever they need from the file.

In addition to sending a letter I was thinking of including a brochure and business card. I haven't designed the brochure yet. Or maybe I could just design a flyer (one page - front and back).

I wanted to get your all's opinion on my idea.

Thanks.

CloptonCapital
04-07-2011, 02:30 AM
Handwrite the address on the envelopes, it makes a massive difference

greenoak
04-07-2011, 08:30 AM
i would do it.... its nice and local and it just might put you in their head when their need comes up....be sure and put a card in...for their file....
and that is if cpas would really use an outsider...??? i wouildnt think a cpa would want another bookkeeper involved or anyone else working on the books they have to vouch for....
we do local b to business mailings a lot...sometimes the business comes later...and like you said its pretty reasonable in cost if just one or 2 come thru...

Blessed
04-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Well targeted marketing letters can be effective - but may take some repetition before you see results. Definitely include a business card. As for a brochure/flier - either do a rate card sized flier - which is basically a third of a sheet - so it will fit in the envelope without being folded or do a brochure - either a half fold - so it's 2/3rd of a sheet folded in half or a regular tri-fold. Basically whatever that marketing piece is needs to be full color, glossy, look good and not be folded anywhere it isn't designed to be folded. It certainly would help to include something along those lines as well.

Targeting small firms means that the handwritten address on the envelope will help, if it was a larger firm that wouldn't be worth the effort. However... we've talked about bulky direct mail around here before - and you might do better if you can figure out a way to do that. It will cost you more - but will probably yield better results, depending on what you put in the package.

Spider
04-07-2011, 10:34 AM
My view is to take a purely business approach, not a marketing approach. You are a business person informing (not selling to) another business person. Therefore, I would recommend in this case--

1. A formal but brief letter explaining your proposal;
2. Use proper, professionally-printed letterhead on high quality paper and a printed envelope with your logo;
3. Each letter written separately and addressed individually (as in Dear Mr. Jones, Dear Mr. Brown...) and referring to their particular business. (Ie, not a mailmerged form letter);
4. Include a business card, maybe two business cards, but no other inclusion;
5. Hand sign the letter, but do not hand address the envelope: this is a one-off business letter, not a mass-produced mailing circular, and the envelope must be typed/printed.
6. Do not use a stick-on stamp - get a first class metered stamp.

There are occasions when a mailer (junk mail) is needed and there are times when a professional business-like approach is needed. This is an occasion for the latter.

PS. Do not add a PS to your letter.
PPS. And especially not a PPS!

greenoak
04-07-2011, 10:48 AM
thanks spider....im working on a real important piece of mail right now... to a few great prospects......and im going to go with your letter idea here...it really makes sense in my situation and i never looked at it that way....its to the companies im hoping to wholesale my iron to...my iron which is sitting down your way right now...in laredo...

Spider
04-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Good stuff comes out of Texas!

Harold Mansfield
04-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Adding a section to your website that explains that you are available to work with other companies or as a subcontractor is also helpful.
I've gotten plenty of calls that started out "I see on your website you say that you are available to work with 3rd parties...".

Tri-Win
05-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Direct mail can work for B2B advertising but you need to make sure you address the mailer to the decision maker. Generic "I am a subcontractor" letters sent to "ABC Companies" will be trashed. We use B2B advertising and we get good results but our sales people spend time researching the businesses we are marketing to. You should also keep in mind that direct mail is game of volumes and timing. If then don't need your services now, they might in a week, or a month, or a year so repeated mailings can keep your company name fresh in their minds.

SmallBusinessAdvice
05-17-2011, 08:15 PM
My view is to take a purely business approach, not a marketing approach. You are a business person informing (not selling to) another business person. Therefore, I would recommend in this case--

1. A formal but brief letter explaining your proposal;
2. Use proper, professionally-printed letterhead on high quality paper and a printed envelope with your logo;
3. Each letter written separately and addressed individually (as in Dear Mr. Jones, Dear Mr. Brown...) and referring to their particular business. (Ie, not a mailmerged form letter);
4. Include a business card, maybe two business cards, but no other inclusion;
5. Hand sign the letter, but do not hand address the envelope: this is a one-off business letter, not a mass-produced mailing circular, and the envelope must be typed/printed.
6. Do not use a stick-on stamp - get a first class metered stamp.

There are occasions when a mailer (junk mail) is needed and there are times when a professional business-like approach is needed. This is an occasion for the latter.

PS. Do not add a PS to your letter.
PPS. And especially not a PPS!
I respectfully disagree with your assessment and so would Bill Glazer and Dan Kennedy. Business people are just like anyone else and you are trying to get your letter opened and read. Here is what I suggest:
1. make the letter stand out and using decorative stamps. Lumpy mail could be effective such as a RX bottle, but that is entirely another discussion.
2. I would use a P.S> and restate your strongest point there with a call to action.
3. If you really want to stand out, go use a handwritten letter like Bill Glazer has done many times with his customers including professionals. I highly suggest read his book" Outrageous Advertising" and start thinking out the box. That book will open your eyes and make you different from 95% of the people out there.
Well, I just wanted to give you a different point of view, especially if your mailing does not work.

jamesray50
05-17-2011, 08:56 PM
I want to thank everyone for the feedback. You have certainly given me some good ideas and things to think about. The one thing I can't do is hand write a letter because my handwriting is too bad due to shaking. But, I want my letter to be opened. Would a letter with a metered stamp be more likely to be thrown away than a regular stamp? Or would a regular stamp seem like the business was not a professional and get thrown away. Which letter would you all open?

Spider
05-18-2011, 09:37 AM
I respectfully disagree with your assessment and so would Bill Glazer and Dan Kennedy. Business people are just like anyone else and you are trying to get your letter opened and read. Here is what I suggest: ...Excellent response. I don't agree entirely, but it was a good response, nonetheless. Let me explain why and where I disagree.

1. make the letter stand out and using decorative stamps. Lumpy mail could be effective such as a RX bottle, but that is entirely another discussion...Excellent suggestions and I'm sure Bill Glazer and Dan Kennedy would agree with you -- for a sales letter. I already explained this situation does not call for a sales letter, it calls for a business approach, not a marketing approach. The chances are, the person opening the letter will not be the person to whom you are writing but a subordinate. If that is the case, a lumpy letter will be identified as a sales pitch and never reach the person you want. A proper, formal business letter would more likely be handed to the right person. And, if the recipient is a one-person business who opens his own mail, the formal business letter will get priority while the obvious sales letter may or may not get opened (depending on whether they want another cheap plastic pen for Reception!)

2. I would use a P.S> and restate your strongest point there with a call to action. ..Great - for a sales letter. But this situation does not call for a sales pitch. It's a plain, straighforward business communication.

3. If you really want to stand out, go use a handwritten letter like Bill Glazer has done many times with his customers including professionals. I highly suggest read his book" Outrageous Advertising" and start thinking out the box. That book will open your eyes and make you different from 95% of the people out there.
Well, I just wanted to give you a different point of view, especially if your mailing does not work.Sure, that will stand out! You will stand out as a salesman making a pitch. Which is great, when that is what you are doing. As previously stated, this is about advising of the availablity of a business service in the accounts department, not a ra-ra letter for the marketing department.

I do concur, though, that testing will be the determining factor. Try both ways and see which works best in this particular situation.

Horses for courses.