PDA

View Full Version : profiles

greenoak
04-05-2011, 08:48 AM
we worked on profiles yesterday...yelp, bing and our yellowbook...and yahoo...as well as checking our google....
someone wont t ake our phone# maybe 4 squAre...so we are working on that.... also trying to be sure we are easily on the mobile phones....
thanks for the local tips..
we havent come up with any local directories yet...
i know its hard for most advisors to think about our situation...since your goal is to get yourself or others on the front page of your market and we are there already in our market and OUR QUESTION IS more like ...NOW WHAT....??
thanks for the tips...

Duston McGroarty
04-05-2011, 10:09 AM
There are MANY other directories and sites you can get listed in... the more the better.
(Look at my signature when you get a chance, that cheat sheet is perfect for you)

You also need to be sure you're optimizing each of these profiles as best as possible. The
more complete you make each one the better.

Include EVERYTHING you do.

My question to you is... if you're on the first page already and you're not satisfied...
is this the right market? Are you targeting your market with the right keywords? You
need to be where the traffic is.

It's all about supply and demand.

vangogh
04-05-2011, 11:17 AM
i know its hard for most advisors to think about our situation...since your goal is to get yourself or others on the front page of your market and we are there already in our market and OUR QUESTION IS more like ...NOW WHAT....??

Ann I think you misunderstand the job if internet marketers and SEOs. They don't stop just because you're on the front page. That's just one goal of many.

So what now?

1. I'm sure there are many keyword phrases where you don't rank well. You can start identifying the ones where you do and start building a list of new phrases to rank for.

2. Even if you're on the first page of results being #4 is a lot different than being #1

3. You can look at other channels to market your business. I know you already do this with Facebook and other sites.

4. You can better track how all your marketing is working and use the data to improve all your marketing.

5. You can track what happens on your site and work to improve it.

6. You can open or work to improve advertising accounts with Google and Bing and Facebook, etc.

There are plenty of things you can still do. Some will require you continue to do the same things you have been doing and some will require you do new things. For example even if you rank #1 for a phrase someone ranks #2 and that business is probably trying to unseat you at #1. So you want to keep doing more of what made you #1 in order to prevent that.

An example of new might be building a list of keyword phrases to target or finding a new marketing channel and building a presence in that channel.

greenoak
04-05-2011, 07:01 PM
right vg....those are the kinds of things im interested in...there are so many folks out there who never heard of us....or are really suprised by our store when they get here.... reaching them is always a challenge....they like us but not really for antiques.....but when i look at our stats and words used to find us ....after antiques there is no keyword pattern to focus on....so im trying to jsut accept and be satisfied with antiques...
.and mainly how to interact best with our base of customers....who do seem to use our interenet spots a lot....
dustin...what good directories? im local ....
thanks....ann

Duston McGroarty
04-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Ann - a few good directories that usually rank pretty high in the searches
are Localeze, Superpages and CitySearch.

greenoak
04-06-2011, 09:29 AM
thanks we will check up on these today....the last 2 i never heard of...
i looked thru some indiana ones directories and we were on them even tho not from our efforts...???

Harold Mansfield
04-06-2011, 12:36 PM
right vg....those are the kinds of things im interested in...there are so many folks out there who never heard of us....or are really suprised by our store when they get here.... reaching them is always a challenge....they like us but not really for antiques.....but when i look at our stats and words used to find us ....after antiques there is no keyword pattern to focus on....so im trying to jsut accept and be satisfied with antiques...

Ann, I'm sure you watch HG TV. I'm addicted to it for some reason. But I have learned a lot of terminology on the show that people use for decorating, remodels, and even antiques.

Use the Oprah effect: HG TV is a very popular network, especially with women and home owners. If you are looking for other keywords to target, take a page from some of the terms used on that popular network to attract viewers that will now search using that terminology.

Just as an example, one that comes to mind is "repurposing", used by Cari Cucksey. If you watch that show, she does what you do. Finds gems and resells them to people looking for gems and antiques. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of viewers of that show, now search using variations of the term "repurpose" to find shops and items that they are looking for. I'd also be willing to bet that a few blog posts about "repurposing" something, or a series...will draw some attention and traffic over time.

Again, that's just an example and I haven't actually looked to see the volume of people searching using that term, but I'm just trying to give you ideas of how use other media for ideas to capture more search results.

CloptonCapital
04-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Buy some social bookmarks, I know some services that will build 125 of them for $10

vangogh
04-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Buy some social bookmarks

That's pretty much spam. It's also on the useless side.

greenoak
04-07-2011, 10:57 AM
i never watch hgtv or oprah..i probably couldnt stand the ads if i did have the time..im spoiled....since i work everyday except thursdays... but i sure hear about hgtv a lot... and really pay attention...maybe i should study their website too...recycling and repuropsing is so huge and such a big reason folks come to us.....

search words continue to be wierd to me....i can look at all ours in several places.. and they are just all over the place... i like repurpose and vintage a lot....2 words i have added in the last year or 2..

vangogh
04-07-2011, 11:10 AM
search words continue to be wierd to me

As a site owner looking to improve search traffic it's really all about learning what words people use to describe your business. We all use a certain set of words about our own businesses, but our customers may use different words. It's also about trying to understand as best you can the likely intention behind certain words. Does one word lead more to a person ready to buy? Does one word indicate a search for information? Etc.

greenoak
04-07-2011, 01:48 PM
right....but its all about them./i see their search words and they are soo specific...the thing they are personally looking for at the moment.....from old door to shabby vanity to oak file cabinet..... its just totally broad.... but i have decided to quit dwellling on it and just feel like any of them would throw antiques or vintage in their search somewhere.... we are like a d epartment store and carry tons of different things... from perfume bottles to rakes....but in any of those inventory categories we arent in the top tier.... in antiques we are and probably shabby and maybe repurposed...i like that word but its not too good...i love rehabbed and rehab...but it gets into drug treatment etc ...
and my prime customer is not after antiques necessarily....she is an adventurous stylish homeowner with a nice budget to work with... or younger and watches hgtv has kids so probably is on a severe budget...or older and looking for something wild and wonderful to take to her second home ...and all seem to like the adventure of poking around the store....and they are all a bit jaded with places like hallmark...they want something neater and better..... thats a real long TAIL...THATS MY DELIMMA.... ..
im absorbing everything, or trying to and paying attention for sure!!! thanks.ann

vangogh
04-08-2011, 10:52 AM
but its all about them./i see their search words and they are soo specific

Which is the whole point of keyword research. It's always going to be about them. Your customers are going to search using their words not yours. If you want them to find you then you have to use their words. When it comes to being specific that's a good thing. The more specific people are with searches the more they know what they want and the closer they likely are to buying. Keyword research helps you identify those words and phrases. If you then create pages targeting a small group of related phrases you stand a decent chance of that page showing up in search results when those phrases are being searched for.