PDA

View Full Version : bad customer- repeat business

huggytree
04-04-2011, 11:24 PM
one of my worst customers ever called today for a battery backup sump pump

it took me a while to remember him, but now that i do im not sure i want to work for him again. he tried to renegoitate after the work was complete.

of couse im horribly slow right now and just sitting at home all week...these guys always come along when im slow..in the past ive always just said 'no thanks' to these customers......

im considering letting him know that i will only take the job if i get paid when i arrive at the jobsite...whats the harm in saying it? if he says no then i dont work for him.

maybe ill even ask for cash

i know, i know...i should just let it go and move on....its a very profitable project and im slow...im probably thinking too much and need to go w/ my gut and say no thanks

Steve B
04-05-2011, 08:13 AM
I vote for walking away. You already spent more mental energy than a customer like that is worth.

Duston McGroarty
04-05-2011, 08:26 AM
I agree with Steve... know when to fire your customers... trust your gut.

Spider
04-05-2011, 10:38 AM
When you are busy - or even when you have a little work - I'd agree, but when you are sitting around doing nothing, take the aggravation, use it to practice being nice in the face of adversity - and put the money in the bank.

Dan Furman
04-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Piling on here, but I'd pass as well. Even if you get your money up front, that's just ammo for him to think "ok pal, but now you're gonna earn it".

Problem people are problem people - there is no cure. :)

Harold Mansfield
04-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I'd say no as well. Even when I'm slow, I don't take people that have screwed me in the past. It's never worth the money because most times they don't want to pay full price or on time.

Problem customers that pay what it's worth and on time...I'll do and just take the aggravation..that's part of being in business.

KristineS
04-05-2011, 01:06 PM
I'd vote for pass as well. If he was aggravating in the past, he probably will be again, and who needs it.

If you were really desperate for money, maybe, but I don't think that's your situation.

Business Attorney
04-05-2011, 02:03 PM
one of my worst customers ever called today ... he tried to renegoitate after the work was complete.

If he is really one of your "worst customers ever" then I agree with everyone else - pass him up. However, if all he did was try to haggle a bit when you presented the bill and paid in full after you stood firm, you should ask yourself if you are being a little thin-skinned. Some people are just hagglers and feel like there is never any harm in asking for a break on price.

If he paid what you charged and didn't complain about the quality of the work, does simply testing your resolve on your bill make him one of your "worst customers ever"? Or is there more to it?

J from Michigan
04-06-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm 50/50 on this one...
I'd like to say pass. But maybe he doesn't remember there ever bring an issue, and he truly appreciates your work.
A repeat customer is always easier to deal with, even if he was a pain the first time.

You've already set the ground rules regarding haggling... perhaps he won't even bring it up.
(but if he does, high tail it out of there.) ;)

huggytree
04-06-2011, 07:51 PM
he is probably a millionare...he lives in the same subdivision as some of the Greenbay packers

i found out he has a 18' basketball court in his basement

and he tried to renegioate payment after the job was complete ($220) yes a millionare worries about $220!!!

i had to follow him back into his house to get my payment...when i wouldnt haggle after the fact he just walked away....then he took 15 min of intense haggling inside his house...finally i said 2 more minutes and its another $25 and he paid

i caught him playing with me(i think)...he wants a battery backup system for his sump pump...he failed to tell me its an 18' basketball court....for liability alone id want the biggest/best system available....it was a $1,400 job, but now is up to $2,500 for a better system....im just sitting this whole week (2 hours or work)

i told him i remembered him and that i would need to be paid ahead of time...he agreed, but now appears to be using me for info.....i stopped contacting him...i feel he is using me to figure out what he wants and will just find someone else cheaper once the planning is done.

so i almost took him back, but he's fired again

these guys always come out of the woodwork when im sitting doing nothing....its gotta be fate..God testing me or laughing at me.

jamesray50
04-07-2011, 12:57 AM
In my type of business we call those type of clients PITA (Pain In The A$$)