PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Advertising Secret...

Duston McGroarty
04-01-2011, 04:40 PM
I recently discovered a way to make your Facebook
PPC campaigns more profitable...

Set up your first campaign but instead of selecting a huge
age range, set up different campaigns for smaller age
ranges, ex. 20-22, 23-25, 26-28, etc.

Also, split this up into men and women. This will help
you find the most profitable targeted area, then you can
ramp it up to rake in the big bucks!

Capitalist
04-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the tip!

Is there an easier way to put together campaigns that doing it through the site? It would take forever to set up campaigns that way, it would seem.

Duston McGroarty
04-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Once you create your first one you can clone it and make the necessary changes... just be
sure you name your campaigns accordingly so you know what is what.

ferrymulyanto
04-03-2011, 08:56 PM
oh nice, but hey, what's your advice to minimize facebook advertising cost. what's the ideal total target customer for that.

Duston McGroarty
04-03-2011, 09:11 PM
There isn't really an ideal target customer for every niche... they're each going to be different. The
best way I can describe how to get the lowest possible CPC (or CPM) is to explain how targeting
works in Facebook.

The targeting is based on what Facebook users interests are. When you first set up your profile, you're
asked what you're interests are... books, music, TV shows, etc.

So, when you setup your campaign, ideally you want to know what your target audience's interests are
and this is how you will get a low CPC... by bidding on interests most others aren't bidding on.

I'll give you an example of a campaign I recently did. My target audience was small business owners. So
instead of bidding on interests such as Small Business Groups, I bid on interests like the book Rich Dad
Poor Dad, The 4-hour Work Week, etc.

This allowed me to get a lower CPC while still getting in front of my target audience. Another tip I could
give you is to start your bidding low and work your way up. It has worked well for me.

Duston McGroarty
04-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Yep, that sounds about right. I would suggest testing those three ads for
a 24 hour period of time then using the best performing one.

After about 3 weeks, Facebook users get "banner blindness" and your CTR
will start to drop.

This is when you need to change your ad again. You should keep testing
different images, titles and descriptions to see what works best.

Capitalist
04-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Great tip on the book interests - I'm off to use that now.

I tried breaking down by age range for a promotion I'm running - I got nowhere with it.

Finally, I found Dryleaf (http://dryleaf.com). It's free for up to 50 ad types per day, and lets you quickly create permutations of image, copy, and targeting. $100 / month removes that limit, which will probably be very worth it eventually - for now, this is letting me quickly explore headline writing and targeting without spending a lot of dough.

Duston McGroarty
04-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Yes! I've heard about that but haven't tried it yet... sounds cool, let me know what you think of it.

Capitalist
04-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Dryleaf seems okay - it definitely isn't as polished as it could be. For one thing, it doesn't seem to like Opera, and has crashed on me twice while updating images.

That said, it works fine in Firefox.

The only feature I'm missing right now is the ability to change a CPC campaign over to CPM. I can't find an option for that, so I'm doing it through Facebook. I have one campaign (out of 80) with a .13 CTR, which seems to be pretty good for Facebook. I wanted to move it over to CPM, but couldn't.

Otherwise, I'm loving it.

CloptonCapital
04-07-2011, 02:33 AM
this is a good tip on split testing, thanks

nophin
07-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Great tips. I actually paid for the same exact tips.These tips work I was able to increase my clients fan base by 100% using their facebook ad coupon.

Mary
07-28-2011, 12:27 PM
That's good stuff!

Do you have the ad going to your Facebook fan page or your own personal landing page?

thebizinator
07-28-2011, 06:20 PM
This is helpful advice Duston, thanks for the post. I actually have a music project I'm working on that will benefit from this technique. I'll have to try it out.

JeremyJ
08-25-2011, 11:38 AM
I actually heard an audio yesterday that said exactly that...so seems to work for a lot of people.

Have you actually ran it and tested it?

scottish
09-12-2011, 05:41 AM
thanks for the advice, I am thinking about using facebook ppc but google adwords just seems easier.

BusinessKickoff
09-14-2011, 08:19 PM
THANKS! I am going to try it! My marketing campaign has hit a standstill!