PDA

View Full Version : Question about Stumble Upon

the goat
10-03-2008, 05:44 PM
One of my sites has had 3,000 and counting unique visitors from stumble upon in the last two days. I tried clicking the link they all came from and it just tells me my site has been stumbled and asks if I would like to promote my site.

Is there a way to see the listing that all these visitors are coming from? I tried searching stumble and I can't find anything about the post in question.

Harold Mansfield
10-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Someone must have found your site informative or interesting and added it on their Stumble account. There is no way to know exactly who visits just by the very nature of Stumble, it's like channel surfing... most people don't stick around that long.
If they do, then they may Stumble you again, which moves you up the food chain for that particular category.

vangogh
10-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Visit stumbleupon.com/url/the-url-of-the-page-that-got-stumbled

You'll be able to see who first stumbled your page and some of the others who also stumbled it after and any comments they've left. There's no single source people are coming from though. Some may have randomly stumbled, some may have stumbled specific users who stumbled your content. If your content gained enough votes it may have been or still be listed on one of the most popular pages at SU.

Business Attorney
10-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Vangogh, thanks. I wondered the same thing. Has anyone experienced any significant benefit from traffic coming from stumbleupon? I have one site with a few hundred monthly visitors where the traffic suddenly tripled when it was stumbled by someone. According to Google Analytics, most of them stayed only a few seconds and very few looked beyond the stumbled page.

vangogh
10-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Social media traffic tends to leave rather quickly, especially a site like StumbleUpon where many people landed on your page somewhat randomly. They weren't specifically looking for your page when they stumbled.

However if your pages can consistently get stumbled it's possibly it starts creating a familiarity with your site and brand. Over time it's possible people will start spending more time on your site.

For most sites social media isn't usually the best form of traffic. You can get a lot of traffic in a short amount of time, but the quality of that traffic is questionable. Bigger brands seem to get more quality traffic from what I've observed and if you participate with social media you can build your brand with the community of those social sites.

Harold Mansfield
10-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Stumble traffic for me is just "ego" traffic. I love seeing the numbers when I have a good stumble run going, some of my posts have done over 5k from stumble alone, but it does nothing for clicks on ads, or referrer traffic to affiliate sites and links.

I use the Ron Popiel method, I put a Stumble button at the bottom of every post. I "set it and forget it".
If 2 or more people see it and stumble, you will get a nice boost for the day.

Keep in mind, Stumblers don't read a lot, they look for instant gratification. Usually something flashy or cool.

If you are looking to build subscribers, or get link clicks, Digg, Fark, Mix, Reddit, Twitter, truemors, facebook, and ycombinator seem to work best for me, and give a better opportunity to pick up links from other sites through mention, or quotes from your articles.
JMO

the goat
10-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks van gogh, very helpful as usual. You were right on about the traffic. All said and done I got about 10,000 uniques and barely any of them looked at any other post or clicked on anything.

Oh well it sure looked cool on the statcounter!

vangogh
10-21-2008, 08:34 PM
I don't want to automatically imply that you can't get good traffic from social media, but I think you get better traffic the more success you have with the same site and the more your brand is known to that community.

I get spikes in traffic from StumbleUpon regularly. Sometimes I'll notice an increase over the usual blog subscriptions after.