PDA

View Full Version : Business Registration

PPowerwash
03-20-2011, 02:48 PM
My Wife and I started a small business back last year. At the time we registered the business at a location we were using that my mother owned. We are right on the KY and Indiana state line. So our business is registered in KY. Our home office is now in Indiana now. I am literally a quarter mile from Ky. What should we do? Register it again in IN? A DBA? Not really sure. Also, we carry insurance and since I was the only operator most companies would let us exempt ourself from workers comp. We are looking to hire on 2 guys. Where do I start at to get workers comp?

Thanks,
Ron

Business Attorney
03-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Typically, if you are doing business in a state, you must register in that state. Although where your office is located is one factor, other important factors like where you make your sales can mean you are doing business in a state even though you have no physical location in the state. In your case, it could be that you need to register in both Indiana and Kentucky.

You don't say what type of entity your business is. Is it a corporation, an LLC, a partnership, a sole proprietorship or something else? That can make a difference in how, and maybe even whether, dual registration is required.

PPowerwash
03-21-2011, 02:28 PM
It is currently registered as a LLC.