PDA

View Full Version : Managing Pics on Facebook

Spider
03-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Is this Website Management? Well, it's Facebook management, so I guess it goes here---

Referring to the five header pictures that sit at the top of your Facebook profile page - did you know that what YOU see is not what your visitors see (unless you have modified your privacy settings, in this regard.)

Go to top right of your page - 'Account' , find your way to 'Privacy settings' - 'Customize settings' - top right of page click 'Preview my profile' and you will see what most other people will see when they visit your profile. It might surpsrise you!

Top center of this page, you can enter a friends name and see what they see when they visit your page.

If the pictures that FB auto-selects are not flattering, I have discovered how to control them (Took me a couple of hours diddling around, but if you haven't done this yet, this will save you some time.)

FB is going to put 5 of your pictures there, no matter what, so the only way for you not to have any pictures showing is to remove all pictures from your account. However, you can choose which pictures are to display, to friends and strangers.

Go back to your Privacy settings, and click the 'Customize settings' again. Look for 'Photos and videos I'm tagged in' and click 'Edit setting'

For 'Who can see photos and videos I'm tagged in' choose 'Only me.' (So, guess this means your friends won't be able to see your pictures anymore, but that's the price you pay for what I'm explaining.)

Then, it seems, FB only selects from the pictures you have in your Profile pictures album. Change those to the five you want displayed.

That seems to be working for my personal profile, but now I want to do the same for my three Pages. But you don't seem to have similar privacy settings for pages, so I'm not sure how you can control the five header pictures in this case. I kinda get the impression they auto-select the most recent ones uploaded, but maybe not.

Have fun! If you discover any little quirks that will help others, post them here.

Harold Mansfield
03-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Keeping in that same theme, here's an interesting post on Mashable showcasing some creative ways to use that photo section:
10 Creative Uses of the New Facebook Profile [PICS] (http://mashable.com/2010/12/14/new-facebook-profile-hacks/)

Spider
03-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Cool!.....

jamesray50
03-20-2011, 03:14 AM
Does anyone know how to do that? My logo would look good like that.

jamesray50
03-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Frederick - Thanks for explaining the FB pictures. I have spent several hours today trying to put pictures that I wanted to display. I never really paid attention to what was there until you posted this, but I guess it will be fun to play around with it. For now I have chosen to put my parents when they were young, two pictures of me when I was young and the house I grew up in. When something in my life changes the pictures will reflect it. It is pretty cool.

I don't tag myself in pictures, in fact, I didn't really know what the purpose was or why people did it so often. I have even seen pictures tagged with peoples names when they weren't even in the pictures. Never could understand it. The problem I had with the pictures was getting them to fit into the small square space. I kept going into my picture editor and making my pictures smaller and they uploading them into FaceBook until they fit in the space and looked good. I am satisfied with it now.

Harold Mansfield
03-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Does anyone know how to do that? My logo would look good like that.

I would imagine as long as you have the right image, it's just a matter of using a photo editor like GIMP or Photoshop and a little math to create the individual images.

Paper Shredder Clay
03-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Are you using stock photography for your Facebook page?