PDA

View Full Version : How many pages need seo

jamesray50
03-16-2011, 01:36 AM
My website has been redesigned and rewritten. I have done the seo on my home page, service page and the about page. I don't see a reason to do any other pages. What do you all think? If you need to look at my website to answer, please do so. The website was done by members of this forum and it looks great. I couldn't be happier.

jpohl
03-16-2011, 09:50 AM
I see you have a blog. When you blog an article, make sure you do SEO on those pages. Since you are doing local search, I would try to include local city names that you cover. You may cover something in your blog that is not picked up by google and therefore you can get customers that way.

greenoak
03-16-2011, 09:50 AM
wow...it lookls good and communicates a lot...

billbenson
03-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Rule of thumb. Every page on a site should be unique and optimized for different keywords. If you have a 100 page site that is 100 SEO optimized pages. No duplicate content.

Harold Mansfield
03-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Rule of thumb. Every page on a site should be unique and optimized for different keywords. If you have a 100 page site that is 100 SEO optimized pages. No duplicate content.

Yep, just do what Bill said. You have an SEO plug in installed so you can optimize each of your pages individually and your posts very easily by just taking a few extra seconds.

Blog regularly ( what ever that is going to be), use your headlines (URL's) and keywords efficiently as to attract the most possible targeted search queries, and build as many links as you can to both your pages, and your blog posts.

Lastly, don't forget your RSS feed. Submit it and promote it where ever you see an opportunity.

jamesray50
03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Yep, just do what Bill said. You have an SEO plug in installed so you can optimize each of your pages individually and your posts very easily by just taking a few extra seconds.

Blog regularly ( what ever that is going to be), use your headlines (URL's) and keywords efficiently as to attract the most possible targeted search queries, and build as many links as you can to both your pages, and your blog posts.

Lastly, don't forget your RSS feed. Submit it and promote it where ever you see an opportunity.

I used the same keywords on every page, so I need to change that? I don't understand the headline comment and how do I build the links to my pages and blogs? Also how do I submit my RSS feed?

Thanks.

vangogh
03-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Jo Ellen, every page on your site should be seen as an opportunity to attract traffic, whether it's search engine traffic, direct traffic, or traffic from another site. SEO isn't not about picking a couple of pages to optimize and calling it a day. SEO is just a subset of marketing and like marketing it's something you never stop doing.

You shouldn't be targeting the same keywords on different pages. When you do you're setting up your pages to compete with each other. As one does well it pushes the others further down the search results. Naturally there's going to be overlap in what different pages are about, but each page should at the least have a unique page title and they should be focused on different keyword phrases.

If you consistently blog you'll likely find in time most traffic to your site enters on one blog post or another. Informational content like you would find on a blog is pretty much what search engines want to see. As you learn more about how to write with seo in mind you can write more effective titles and headings for your posts. Search for "seo copywriting." There are plenty of good tutorials and helpful advice.

You don't need to submit your rss feed. Your blog should be sending out a ping by default to one or more services that update the rest. I'm pretty sure WordPress is sending out pings by default. You can search though for rss directories related to your topic and submit to some. Here's a list of directories (http://www.toprankblog.com/rss-blog-directories/). I've never submitted my blog to any though and my blog is visited regularly by all search engines.

The most important thing to remember is that seo isn't something you do once and forget about it. It really is just marketing. It's a specific type of marketing in that the focus is on search engines, but most of the things you would do to market your business without consideration for search engines usually help with search engines as well.

Harold Mansfield
03-17-2011, 12:54 AM
I used the same keywords on every page, so I need to change that? I don't understand the headline comment and how do I build the links to my pages and blogs? Also how do I submit my RSS feed?

Thanks.
Not much to add to what VG already said, but I will expound on the headline thing:

Think of it like Match Game, but instead of trying to match the like pictures on the board, you are trying to match your headline with how people will most likely search (via search engines) for the information that you have in your article.

For instance, if you write a blog post that offers tax tips to first time home owners, you could just title it "Tax tips for first time home owners".
Nothing wrong with that. It is correct and you will probably get some looks. But could you get more by being a little more precise? Definitely.

People don't type one word in the search bar anymore. They type combinations, phrases, and even full questions.
You and I both know that tax codes change frequently and what was last year may not be the same this year. so while "Tax tips for first time home owners" is an OK headline, you will eventually be grouped into ALL of the articles with the same or simular headlines and content that have ever been written and posted online...no matter how old they are.

Now , you are using wordpress, which like most CMS's or blog capable platforms organizes content based on the date it was written, so you will get some natural love there. But think about the people looking for the information. Are they likely to search merely for "Tax tips, first time homeowners" or will they search specifically for exactly what they are looking for?
These days people get pretty specific..if not on the first search, they do on subsequent searches until they get what they need.

So it's probably more likely that they will search for tax tips for the current year. So I would probably use "2011 tax tips for first time home owners". If you were even more specific and were writing about tax tips for people who live in a certain area, then you want to use something like "2011 Maricopa County tax tips for home owners"...make that number of people (no matter how small the number) that are looking for exactly that, come straight to you.

If you ARE talking about "Maricopa County taxes", yet merely title your article "2011 tax tips"...not only are you pissing off the people that don't live in Maricopa county who weren't looking for that...you are missing a prime opportunity to get those people in Maricopa county that ARE looking for your article.

People skim the web. Your headline and description is what they see in the search results. If they don't see that you have what they are looking for , they will keep skimming the results until someone does.

That was a long explanation but it tackles a couple of birds.
1. You want to use the most relevant keyword(s) somewhere in your headline (preferably as close to the beginning as possible).
2. You want to use your headline to target how people are most likely to search for your information.

If you use "cutesy" headlines, jargon, or terminology that normal people don't use...no one is gong to find you via search. Don't use your own lingo or phrases that only make sense to a small group of people. If you are Vogue or Mashable and a million people are going to come to your website everyday, anyway...then you can do whatever you want. But, if you are relying on search engines to bring you traffic, then you have to play Match Game.

Lastly, don't try to target popular terms if your content doesn't exactly match up. Better to get most of the 10 people looking for exactly what you have, than to trick 1000 people into clicking and you don't have what you've advertised.

Throwing a big net to see what sticks doesn't work online. The web is not radio. 1000 visitors a day that back right out and never take any action or look around the site is far worse than 10 people a day that want to be there. You will get more action from those 10, than you will those 1000.

If you throw a big net to get that 1000 people, just so that you have something to look at in you traffic stats..you will be loosing business to your competitor that is specifically targeting those 10 people a day.

That about wraps it up.

Business Attorney
03-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Wow, Jo Ellen, your website has improved by leaps and bounds in a very short time. It looks great.

One suggestion, though: proofread everything carefully. Almost any program you use will have a built-in spell checker. The blog roll listing titled "Finacial (sic) Links" is one example that a spell checker would have caught.

jamesray50
03-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks, it does look great. Eborg designed it and Dan Furman wrote the copy. I am so excited over it. I spent all day doing the SEO on all the pages.

n_touch
04-24-2011, 03:15 AM
Yea, I would make sure that every page has its own SEO work. The more pages that you have out there working for you the better. Many times it is not only the main page that you want to work with, but also the deeper pages. Work on building links to those deeper pages as well with keywords that are easy to rank for. You may not get a ton of traffic but you will get some. Any visitor to your site is a good thing, especially if you are selling something. The key is to get them there and let your content do the rest.

Anthony
04-30-2011, 05:41 AM
This is completely depend you that how you decide that which pages are important for you. If you are getting good traffic through Home page ans services pages then it is fine and if you realize that you need more traffic and you have great resource on your website then you can go for more page. Optimizing pages like About US, Our Team and other can't generate the business for you.

SEO In Leeds
05-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Yep if you use wordpress use the 'All in one SEO' plugin this allows you to SEO every page/post. Every page and post should have its own keywords and be SEO'd as such. Do not over stuff your keywords in the text and always use them in the title. if you leave a comment on someone else's blog use an anchor text link in your reply and then you can use the specific URL for specific pages on your site to get good anchor links this way. Make sure you do your keyword research first to get the good keywords to start with. Always remember to leave your readers with a call to action at the end of your post too.

bmarcus
05-24-2011, 12:03 AM
I always tell my clients that every page is a potential landing page so make sure your SEO work is done with consistency on each and every web page.

vangogh
05-24-2011, 11:35 AM
True. You never know what page someone will enter your site through. You don't necessarily need to design every page to look like a home page, but most every page should do a few basic things like let visitors know where they are and what they can do on the site.

facility
06-09-2011, 11:28 AM
The first thing I saw on your page was that the "Free Consultation" is an image an the title on not free consultation. That is a thing I would fix. And I guess there is more little errors as this one.

jamesray50
06-09-2011, 03:39 PM
I don't what you mean about the free consultation. When you click on it, it goes to my contact page, what's wrong with that? What other little errors are there? Please expand on your statement.

tylerhutchinson
06-09-2011, 06:29 PM
A lot has been said here already. Basically every page needs to be SEO optimized. On my site I have every page with SEO and every page is gauged towards another key term. So my home page is " affordable small business consulting services". Each page for what I do I have it geared towards what the page is about in my SEO. So for my management training I have it optimized for "affordable small business management team building skills". and so on...

the purpose of this is to try and assume what someone may search for on google. If you gear it towards one term only you will only get that one term. If someone types a search in google that is slightly different, they won't find you. Its good to be optimized for at least 15-30 seo key terms depending on how large your site is and how many pages you have. I have around 20 myself.

Good luck. :)

jamesray50
06-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I still don't understand what Facility was talking about when he referred to the Free Consultation button being an image. What is wrong with that? Sould I add free consultation to my keywords in my seo?

vangogh
06-09-2011, 10:43 PM
I think he just meant it should be text instead of an image since search engines can't read the text in the image. Assuming you wanted the page to rank for the phrase "free consultation" then having those words be real text might help the page rank for the phrase.

I think how you have it now as a button is fine. If you are targeting that phrase on the page you could add it as an alt attribute on the image. It looks like the word consultant is currently used in the title attribute on the image. Image tags don't get title attributes. I'd probably remove that and change it to alt="free consultation" It's a reasonable description of what the image is.

It's not a big deal though to leave the button as an image and not add the alt attribute.

Spider
06-09-2011, 10:52 PM
I still don't understand what Facility was talking about when he referred to the Free Consultation button being an image. What is wrong with that? Should I add free consultation to my keywords in my seo?Jo Ellen -- I see three blue buttons that say "Free Consultation" on them. They are images and not text. Search engines (SEs) do not read and index images, they only read and index text. Therefore the wording "free consultation" is not seen by the SEs and not recorded as words on your website. That means the SE will not present your page to anyone searching for - bookkeeping, free consultation - because the SE doesn't know that's what you offer. (You do have one instance of that phrase elsewhere on your page so it is indexed low in the hierarchy.) I think what the other poster was suggesting was for you to increase the number of times the keyphrase is mentioned in the text. You could also add the keyphrase to the alt tag associated with the images. (alt="free consultation") because SEs can read the alt tags.

FangDigital
06-10-2011, 12:16 AM
My website has been redesigned and rewritten. I have done the seo on my home page, service page and the about page. I don't see a reason to do any other pages. What do you all think? If you need to look at my website to answer, please do so. The website was done by members of this forum and it looks great. I couldn't be happier.

The other folks did a great job of replying, but just in general I wanted to say that SEO isn't going to be a "how much" or "how many" thing, it's now a part of the way you promote yourself and should just become a habit, like providing your correct contact information.

You'll get used to it! :)

<please set up a signature>

jamesray50
06-10-2011, 12:28 AM
Do you know what other little errors he was talking about?

vangogh
06-10-2011, 01:27 AM
He was just assuming there were other errors. He didn't specifically see any.

facility
06-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Hi.
Sorry for the late reply. No, I did not see any other specific errors. And I guess the "Free Consultation button" issue was explained pretty good by the other guys.

I simply guessed from looking at your page that the fact that it is a "free consultation" seems to be important to you, but the buttons can not be "read" by search engines. So if your alt attribute said alt="free consultation" search engines knew what the button is supposed to say.

vangogh
06-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Exactly. The main thing is search engines aren't going to read the text that's displayed as an image. If you want search engines to read certain words those words need to be written as real text. If the image is important you can usually use the text you want inside the alt attribute of the html img tag. It likely won't carry as much weight as having the image text be really text, but it's the next best thing.