PDA

View Full Version : Low-carb food service

salkin
03-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Hi, I live in Northern Europe and my native language is not English. Some grammar error may occur.

I'm overweight and just ordered a book called "lose weight without starving" (my translation to English). This book contains information about low-carb diet and a lot of good low-carb food recipes. Almost everybody knows that diet pills and that kind of stuff don't work (but some people buy them anyway). Everybody knows that overweight can cause many health problems. By moving to healthy low-carb food you can lose weight permanently and feel better. Of course you have to also take exercise (e.g. jogging). I'm sure that low-carb food is the right way to lose weight healthy and permanently.

In this book (and in many other books) are many healthy and tasty low-carb food recipes. But the problem is that many of them are quite time-consuming to cook and include a lot of ingredients. Also many of people don't like cooking and are busy and buy convenience food (microwave oven ready food) from local grocery store.

My business idea is to start to cook this low-carb food and to sell this healthy food as convenience food. People can quickly warm up food in a microwave at home. People can buy many dishes at once and put them into freezer at home. I also have to have a few big freezers.

I know this business idea is not new or something unique but I don't know any of that kind of low-carb food services in my country. Maybe in US there are a lot of them. I live in city which has population about 1 million and I think here could be a demand for this kind of service. What do you think?

I'm an internet entrepreneur and have made quite lots of money from the internet for years and I'm not very interested in affiliate business anymore. But I like totally passive income anyway. This food service business would be something different.

Salkin

vangogh
03-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Anything to do with food and weight loss is a long proven market. I don't think you need to be totally original to succeed here. It's more about finding your market and appealing to them specifically. All stuff you should be able to do with your affiliate experience.

Seems like a good idea to me. I live in a health conscious town so I see similar foods on the shelves in the grocery stores here. I'm sure there would be room for more and I'm sure people here would order some food online assuming it could be delivered and still be edible. :) Healthier food in general is becoming more important to people. The one thing I've noticed is that while people will choose the healthier option when prices are equal, not everyone is willing to pay more for the healthier option. Also in the end choice will come down to taste. Healthy still needs to taste good. I assume the food you make will taste good though.

salkin
03-16-2011, 06:10 AM
I know there are a lot of problems to solve and things to test before I will start this business. First I have to test this low-carbohydrate diet to myself does it really works. Can I lose weight without starving in a few months. What recipes are the best. Is the food still tasty after it has been 2 months in a freezer. How to deliver the food to the customers or do they come to buy the food in my place of business. etc etc.

vangogh
03-16-2011, 11:11 AM
That all makes sense and is probably a lot more than most similar products do. Would it be possible to also test the diet on some friends and family? It might not be a bad idea to test on more people than yourself.

You do have some problems to solve like you say, but I do think the business idea is a good one and you seem prepared to do things the right way.

Spider
03-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Wherever you are, contact the appropriate authority for general information and the laws with which you will have to abide. Restaurants, food manufacturers, food providers, handlers and sellers, etc. are quite heavily regulated and subject to regular inspection.

This might come under the Health Department, Public Safety, or who knows what! Your local librarian will know, so an early visit to your public libray is in order.

TotalPC
03-16-2011, 07:37 PM
As far as your idea goes, it is something that i would definitely be interested in. There are no such services where i live.

We have a few places that offer healthier meals that can be re-heated, but definitely no low-carb options.

salkin
03-17-2011, 06:41 AM
Spider, I know I should to abide by regulations and operate by law.

I think many food manufacturers don't make low-carb meals or there are no restaurants which offer only low-carb meals because low-carb diet is such a new thing and there is not enough demand. Many people don't even know what low-carb diet means or care to eat healthier.