PDA

View Full Version : Auto Detail/Paint Refinishing Needs Help! Ideas, etc.

Pat@apexauto
03-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Hey guys, names pat. Last month I left my job at a collision center down here in georgia, basically frustrated with the experiences I've had coming out of technical school for auto body and paint refinishing. I only worked for two shops down in georgia, at the first one, although there was no advancement over the course of two years of working there..I did learn how to buff cars by one of the best buffers I had ever seen..I studied my teacher in that as a detailer/porter, and when I was tired of waiting for advancement...the skills that I had picked up from him allowed me to get a job as the lead buffer at a different collision center. I've always wanted to get into business ownership, my real goal was to become a painter whether for a shop, or on my own terms..after looking into the requirements and how much it costs to get a paint shop up and running, about two months ago I had an epiphany that I could start an auto detail shop, something that I was good at and well versed in. I wrote my business plan and came up with a way that we could be distinctly different from a traditional detail place. My business is for car enthusiasts in particular..and because I'm coming from the collision field, it's been difficult to provide examples of work that i've done seeing as though I have no contact with the hundreds of cars i've buffed. Our concept is based mainly on contracting with other companies and memberships from customers. basically the automotive version of costco. we offer the best prices because the members and their commitments will allow us to do so. on to my questions. which i have many.

1st..I'm going to be 21 this year in june..i'm young. I've never opened a business and I don't have any ideas of what to expect as far as profit and how much time I should give my business in order to generate a buzz??. With that being said, I'm really good at what i do as far as paint correction and buffing. I've got two major affiliations in the car community down here, but the strength of those two won't feed our faces. So..again. question 1 is how much time should I give my business and it's concepts to grow financially? One of the major things that's holding me back funds..which leads to question two.

Question 2: I don't have anyone that can help me as far as funding. no family, no friends. Which is frustrating because success is eminent. We are going to be fine..but I feel like not having a shop is killing us, not feeling legitimate by just offering mobile work. I'm looking for information regarding funding, particularly grants, or even a potential investor...one that has an interest in what we're trying to do and has the business experience that we could use.

Question 3: A big part of my business is relying on contract work from companies. I have it structured this way because in the cold months, there was nothing like going to work at a collision shop, and KNOWING there will be cars in need of buffing and detailing. I don't want a detail place that has to close it's doors because of inclimate weather. we are trying to bridge the gap between contract work and walk in and customer work. I go to a majority of the car events down here and I know a good deal of people in the community, it's just a matter of getting the right clientele..I chose an adult name for my company so that we could appeal to someone who may drive a porsche and may be older, and also a younger bunch that may track cars or get involved with car shows.

Question 4: I need tips on advertising. we do have a facebook page..but because all my experiences in automotive are based on collision environments, outside of body shops, i'm having a hard time translating exactly what we do in lamens terms to people. Right now I go business to business spreading the word about us to performance shops, dealers and body shops.

Question 5: I don't like feeling crazy. lol. I think that I'm on the right track..and without many examples of successful people..I need advice on what it takes to be a successful business owner and how much patience is required before I start to see something real. it's difficult to wait while i'm unemployed. I just don't want to go back to feeling capped out, like I should be content with working for someone else. I know theres a lot here, but feel free to give me your opinions and questions.

auto
03-31-2011, 08:44 PM
I am a Spray Painter by trade. My business is all about paint protection, paint correction & scratch removal & touch ups. When I started 9 years ago I hit all the car yards in my town doing touch ups on chips scratches and cut & polish, this is a mobile service. This was a good way to get customers quickly. I have found by doing privately owned cars is a lot better money, but harder to get these jobs because people don't know about this service, they know about bodyshops & car detailers. I feel that my service fits in between them, so trying to market a service that is not known has been hard. We have had flyers printed and delivered and posters hung up on notice boards. We have sent out letters also explaining our business to car rentals & real estate and car clubs. We are also trying the Internet of which I am still learning about.

Thanks Chris