PDA

View Full Version : American's Expect Companies to Use Social Media

KristineS
10-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I just saw some of the results of the Cone Business in Social Media Study. There are some interesting things here. According to the study, 93 percent of Americans think companies should have a social media presence and 85 percent believe that companies should be interacting with consumers through social media.

Kind of makes you think about the presence your company has on social media sites.

You can read the rest of the study here (http://www.marketingvox.com/americans-expect-companies-to-have-social-media-presence-041271/?camp=newsletter&src=mv&type=textlink).

BillR
10-02-2008, 02:28 PM
I find that very surprising...

KristineS
10-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Yeah, Bill, I was a bit surprised too. I didn't think that large a percentage of Americans even knew about social media.

vangogh
10-03-2008, 11:09 AM
I saw those numbers too and also was a bit surprised by the response. I'm guessing they didn't specifically ask people if companies should have a social media presence. It might have been more like "Do you think companies should have a blog?" or something that uses more familiar terms than social media.

I'm guessing they didn't specifically use the term social media when asking everyone.

greenoak
10-11-2008, 09:28 PM
i wondered what they were talking about? it wasnt very specific..
.ann

Dan Furman
10-11-2008, 10:47 PM
I just saw some of the results of the Cone Business in Social Media Study. There are some interesting things here. According to the study, 93 percent of Americans think companies should have a social media presence and 85 percent believe that companies should be interacting with consumers through social media.

I agree with Vangogh. I'm going to guess that less than 10% of Americans can even define the term "social media".

vangogh
10-12-2008, 02:32 AM
I don't think it's a common term for the masses. I think people would be familiar with many of the sites. People have heard of FaceBook and MySpace and YouTube. I know plenty of people who have LinkedIn profiles too, but the term social media to encompass them all isn't likely well known or used frequently.

It's funny when I see certain discussions online and people take for granted that most of the world uses the internet the same way we do. We're online every day and so come across certain discussions. I still have to tell people what Firefox is. You may or may not use, but I'm sure you know what it is. Forums may not seem cutting edge anymore, but the simple fact that we're here discussing things online makes us more web savvy than the majority.

greenoak
10-12-2008, 08:54 AM
my guess is that the poll question was something like ....do you like companies that have a website?.....that would get the big good response....

where i first heard social media was from a company trying to sell the service, kind of like a pr person wanting to lead companies thru the social media maze.....im waiting to hear what social media parts other retail or wholesale companies do well with...i use internet, blog, forums and some link exchanges...not many...
i want to keep up and use whatever i should ......because we get tons of business from our website....yesterday it was a fancy bird store needing store fixtures..... i did ask what he googled..after seeing our site and blog and one phone call ..he drove 4 hrs , bought happily, and rented a big truck to take it back to his new store...
ann..