PDA

View Full Version : saved by the google tool...

greenoak
03-06-2011, 09:11 AM
whoever mentioned the google adwords tool...thanks....we are working on our free 100$ from google for ad words....and decided to go real specific.one keyword we were considering was counters, we make lots of store counters and kitchen counters.... uh, there are tons of counters out there in the verb category, like stat counters, all kinds of things relating to counting things.... that could have been a real wasteful mistake on our part....
do you declare your certain keywords or is every word in your ad a key word? can i use counters in the ad and not claim it as a key word? or do i need to make it a negative keyword?

jpohl
03-06-2011, 09:33 AM
"do you declare your keywords or is every word in your ad a key word? "

I'm not sure I totally understand the question but you decide on the keywords yourselves. Think about each keyword you use and how it could lead to bad clicks. I rarely select broad match, I usually stick with phrase and exact. Also use negative keywords when doing phrase and broad match...for example you probably don't want "free" in the keyword phrase.

Maybe you are already doing it but in the Google keyword tool, you can put in a web page URL (next to where you put in a keyword phrase). I put competitor web pages in there as they may be using keywords I am not thinking of.

Keyword discovery and wordtracker also have keyword tools that you can try. I think they are paid but they have trials you could use if you were just looking for different keywords.

greenoak
03-06-2011, 09:37 AM
thanks...is every word in the ad a keyword or do you have to declare which ones are a key word...???

and thanks for explaining why to put a web address in the blank...i didnt get that...

jpohl
03-06-2011, 10:02 AM
also a neat little trick to utilize with adwords is the concept of the dynamic keyword. when a search is done, the keywords that people input are highlighted in both the organic and the paid results. You can use dynamic keyword insertion to get the keyword typed in, input in your add automatically. Usually that is done on the first line. It helps because no matter what keyword is used, you get a bold highlighted keyword in your ad. I think the way to do it is something like {keyword} but do a search within the keyword tool area and it will tell you how to use it.

If you don't want to, you do not have to use any keywords in the ad. I have had as many as 7-8000 keywords in a campaign before (to start) so no, not every keyword needs to be in the ad